Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2011 Odyssey with tow package. The wiring harness that came with the install is a 4 pole connector. My trailer has a surge brake and needs a 5 pole connector to disable the brake while in reverse. Does anyone know if Honda offers a 5 pole wiring harness kit? I've called the dealer and Honda customer service, and neither knows for sure.

In the event that I have to use a 3rd party solution, any suggestions for the best way to accomplish? The reverse lights are in the rear door, so the wire I'd need to splice into is above the door. Rather awkward spot for a 3M connector.

Help!

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I contacted Honda about how to properly wire a 7-blade connector, they were equally as "helpful".

What might be the best option would, instead of pulling the reverse light power from the door, to perhaps find the fuse for the reverse lights which are in the under hood fuse box #16. Should be a 10A fuse (per the 2011 manual).... Please check this before you act of course...

·
Registered
176 Posts
5 or 7 pin??

A 4 pin is LT, RT, Park, Ground
A 5 pin is as Above plus Brake from brake controller (not brake lights)
A 7 pin is as Above plus Batt , Back up

To Get Brakes you'll need a 3rd party Brake controller and run wires to back, pretty sure the newer Odysseys are not pre wired like most Trucks are

Al

·
Registered
159 Posts
Al, it seems like he is using a different setup than standard where the 5th pin is to disable a surge brake, not apply a proportional brake signal. I never heard of this either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ah Ok , seen this before only rewired one. I'd recommend that you use a Relay to controll fused power to disable the controller, using the Van's Rev circuit may overload it.

You could verify this by measuring the required "amperage" to open this circuit, anything over 5 amps and Id do the relay, most relays only add 1-1.5 amps to the reverse circuit, also as long as the 2011 rev lights are not LED

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep - the 5th pin is to disable the surge brake when the vehicle is in reverse; as in I'm baking my trailer onto a boat launch.

I had a round 7 installed on my '02 Odyssey - but back then, Honda made no attempt at providing wiring. I did that one myself. Then I used a 7-5 adapter, as the boat trailer uses a flat 5. It's nice that Honda pre-wires now. The part I don't get is that the manual implores me to have a brake on my trailer, but then doesn't offer me a factory wiring option.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's nice that Honda pre-wires now. The part I don't get is that the manual implores me to have a brake on my trailer, but then doesn't offer me a factory wiring option.
This was exactly my point to Honda. I said: "Your manual tells me I must have brakes on my trailer, and when I go and spend the extra money to get the factory Honda towing package it doesn't have the provision for me to meet the requirements outlined in your own dang manual."

The guy at Honda: "What would you like us to do?"

My response: "Think about what I'm telling you."

Guy at Honda: "Huh?"

Me: "Are you seeing what I'm telling you? Your official Honda Towing Package, when purchased by your customers, does not meet the requirements you are placing on those same customers."

Guy at Honda: "I'll have your dealer contact you to see if they can help."

Me: "So, American Honda doesn't care and so you are making this my dealer's fault? So, a non-factory modification to my wiring will need to be done. I can't wait until later on my warranty gets voided for this."

My dealer's service manager called and recommended a wireless brake controller, and pointed me to a local RV store to have the power line run (which I could just do myself).... He felt bad and tried to help the best he could, and said he too felt Honda was not getting my logic....

As I said before, I was not pleased with Honda's "helpful"ness here.....but my dealer (South Bay Honda in Milpitas, CA) at least tried to make me a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer told me they had the required wiring harness on hand. Scheduled an appointment for me to bring it in. (All done through email, so there could be no denial of what what transpited...) I waited there for 45 minutes before they came and told me they didn't think there was a factory wiring harness (5 post). Referred me to a hitch & trailer company that was several suburbs away.

I couldn't help but ask the obvious...

Why am I here?!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those who care--I know this is an old post, but a lot of surge brakes have physical pins that you insert into the neck of the trailer to prevent the brakes from activating when going in reverse. Just remember to take the pin out when you get on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts