Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished up the tranny cooler installation Sunday morning. After talk of rubbing hoses in another thread, I replaced two plastic hose retaining clamps I was using with rubber covered metal clamps.

I'll whip this into a tech article for the site later this week if time permits. I have about 70 pics total to sift through.

This procedure could take as little as 1 hour if you've done it before. But budget 3 hours, especially if you've never taken the bumper cover off before.

The following are all the parts I used:
1 Hayden 403 tranny cooler kit ($34.98 from PepBoys)
2 rubber covered hose retaining clamps ($1.19)
1 worm drive hose clamp (had one laying around)
1 quart of Honda ATF fluid (just under $5)

Hayden 403 kit:

Cooler in place

Hoses in place

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
156 Posts
Will a tranny cooler help with the possibility of tranny problems? Does this void the warrenty?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Cool lookin' set-up, Jim. The rubber insulated clamps are a nice, practical touch.

Jerry O.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by indian:
Will a tranny cooler help with the possibility of tranny problems? Does this void the warrenty?</font>
Overheating is the #1 cause of tranny failure. Go to your local transmission shop and talk to the techs there. Ask their advice. I'm positive they'll recommend a tranny cooler if you do absolutely any kind of towing or carry heavy loads.

Warranty issues:
As long as the flow of ATF goes from tranny to radiator to tranny cooler to tranny, you'll be fine. That is the same path Honda's ATF cooler uses.

Honda cannot void your warranty based on the use of aftermarket equipment. SEMA has fought long and hard for our rights in that area. They have to prove that the aftermarket equipment caused the failure.

Don't plug the cooler in the radiator and use just the aux. cooler. That will certainly void the warranty.

When in doubt, go with what you know. Use the Honda ATF cooler.

This isn't rocket science. It's just a simple change to the fluid path through a simple ATF cooler.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff

[This message has been edited by Jim F (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Cool lookin' set-up, Jim. The rubber insulated clamps are a nice, practical touch.

Jerry O.
</font>
Thanks, Jerry. I think I could have saved some money on the clamps if I had bought them from somewhere other than Sear's Hardware. That place screams "Suburban Hardware Boutique".

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Jim F,

Put in an aftermarket cooler similar to yours while I was installing the fog lights. Thanks for the pics and instructions. It was pretty easy.

BTW, I got my rubber coated hose clamps at "The Depot" for 2/$1.
Wow, I save a bunch of pennies over what you payed! :D

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
nwf_snake said:
Jim F,

Put in an aftermarket cooler similar to yours while I was installing the fog lights. Thanks for the pics and instructions. It was pretty easy.

BTW, I got my rubber coated hose clamps at "The Depot" for 2/$1.
Wow, I save a bunch of pennies over what you payed! :D
Cool! Got a part # for those? I'll add that to the how-to article.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Lying in my Post!

Well, I have to admit it. I lied in my post...

It was not Home Depot, it was Lowe's, which is another big home improvement store we have in the South. Sorry.

The part number for the 3/4" clamps was 139493, but I am not sure they would work for everyone's install. They do come two in a pack though for $1 plus tax. My cooler was a little different than Jim's, and it might be that the O.D. of the provided rubber lines was different. ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Snake,
You could have said you threw away the receipt!!:stupid:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Scare...

I'm kind of scare that whether I should do this process by myself or actually need to take it to shop and let them do it for me... I'm kind of lost, where I should install the hose(s). I did purchase a exact same model(Hayden 403) from Autozone(39.99). Jim F? Can you provide me a more pictures?

Jason.
'01 TW LX:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
As usual, I am willing to jump into the foray! :stupid:

You are installing the aftermarket cooler AFTER the radiator cooler and before the transmission. Mount your aftermarket cooler first, in front of the A/C condensor and as far towards the drivers side while still getting air flow through the lower grill opening.

Take the return line from the radiator cooler portion off the radiator. This is the hose on the driver's side. It helps to download the Honda tranny cooler instructions from Handa.com to see how the hoses run. Using the new hose you get with the cooler, you are going to make two new hoses. One goes from the new cooler to nipple on the radiator. Using a supplied hose connector from the aftermarket kit, you connect the other side of the new cooler to return hose. Secure the hoses so they don't rub going around the radiator support. Start her up, check for leaks, and add a little fluid (mine did not take much though, be careful). I plugged the openings right away when I did mine so fluid loss was minimal. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Re: Scare...

cobra9357 said:
I'm kind of scare that whether I should do this process by myself or actually need to take it to shop and let them do it for me... I'm kind of lost, where I should install the hose(s). I did purchase a exact same model(Hayden 403) from Autozone(39.99). Jim F? Can you provide me a more pictures?

Jason.
'01 TW LX:
I'll be posting two versions of the ATF cooler installation when I get done working on my home office. It's time to get organized. :D

Mel has an excellent how-to that he's sharing with us and I'll have mine too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
rkpatt,

Yeap, I installed my aftermarket tranny cooler, and at the same time I also installed an inline transmission oil filter kit from Perma-Cool (part# 10678 $80.00 CDN)

The kit has all the necessary parts for the assembly. One thing that gave me "a" problem : the diameter of the original Honda Oil fittings are larger than the 5/16" hose that the kit supplies Nonetheless, a little bit of "lubrication" on the hose, some twisting and turning..and voila, the hose is IN the fitting.

The filter on this kit is good for 50K (30K mi) I don't have to worry about replacing my tranny filter (screen) when it's due. This will extend the life of any tranny...

;) ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eric,

I got my tranny cooler from Speed and Custom

885 Wall Street
Winnipeg, MB

Price $79.95 CDN + Tax

They are the only distributors in Canada for Perma-Cool...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tech Article for Tranny cooler?

I can't find the tech article for installing the tranny cooler. JimF, where might I find this? I need to do it in the next couple of weeks.

Also, do you have to drain the transmission fluid and replace, or just top it off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jim F,
I am going to add an aftermarket ATF cooler this weekend, you pictures will be very handy!! Just one question: I noticed that the support member may be blocking some potential ait flow to the ATF cooler, would it be better to mount it up higher keeping the member from obstructing the flow? or maybe the support member does not affect the air flow???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts