Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with all these tranny question I have somewhat of a quandry. My wife has a 02 or 03 (don't recall and I don't drive it) Ody. I don't believe she has ever had the tranny fluid changed. It currently has 145ish k (kilometers, 97K miles). It has only been to an independent for services. She wants to take it to California in July. The interesting thing is everything else brakes, tires, coolant, I know has been done when required. I just can't find anything on the tranny. What should I do? I hate flushes as they just break stuff loose. Everything shifts fine with no issues.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just drain and fill it about 3 times with a week between each drain wipe off drain plug and fill. This should clear out any buildup and get rid of anything that might have collected over time.

Also, take a look at the color of the transmission fluid. Look for that red color. If its just dark, do the above process. If it has a burnt smell and its black do above process immediately with only a trip around the block each time. Then do 1 more drain and fill a week later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg,

Thanks for the quick reply, are you talking a complete drain or just pull the plug drain refill etc. Sorry this is her car, I don't comment on the mess the kids make in it, or the maint, or drive it keeps it simpler for me.

I work on my cars but haven't touched hers other than a door roller (it's and EX). I also read there is an external filter? I am guessing this is a stealer only item?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Pull the plug, wipe off the magnetic crap and fill it up. Its roughly 3 quarts each fill up. While you are doing it I think I'd make the switch over to amsoil atf. Its cheaper if you order online with the preffered membership.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Yes, there is an external canister ATF filter on top of trans. Advise replacing it at your mileage.

Definitely NO FLUSHING. Drain and fill only.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've bought many used Hondas over the last few years, and I've realized the mistakes I've made by changing the tranny fluid when its never been changed or has not been changed within the last 100K miles. Both times I did that I ended up needed a new tranny within 6 months, 2 different Hondas.

Flushing 3 times in a row didn't help either, which I did in both cases.

My advice is, as painful as this sounds, if its never been changed, just let it be. It will last a little longer, but in both cases you're already on a eminent path to getting a new tranny. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
curiousgeorge2 said:
My advice is, as painful as this sounds, if its never been changed, just let it be. It will last a little longer, but in both cases you're already on a eminent path to getting a new tranny. Good luck.
Man, I don't know if I agree with this...I'm a big supporter of the drains and fills along with removing the dark fuzz on the drain plug magnet that gregersonke and New Dad New Van mention.

I bought a 2003 EX-L with 55,000 miles on it, and when I drained the ATF....dark as sin. Not good. I do not think it had ever been serviced.

I did a 3x drain-refill all in a day, then 1x more in a couple more days with Valvoline MaxLife. After that, I did an ATF drain-refill with each oil change. Ran MaxLife for 42,000 miles.

I just switched to AmSOil Universal ATF at 97,500 miles, and have topped 100,000 miles. I don't know if the ATF temps are any lower, but it has helped my fuel economy a little, along with the Mobil 1 5W20.

So far, so good.

OF

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did the drain and refill, it pretty easy. I was also looking at "some papers" in the glove box. Tranny fluid was changed at about 110K (70K miles) so it wasn't as dire as I thought. It might even have been done twice lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts