Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Ody in Dec '06 after 3-4 days tranny died. Got factory replacement. Now almost 4 years and about 75,000 miles later the CEL light comes on. I get the Actron code reader and it shows P0720/P0730/P0740...Is this the indicators for a rebuild? Yeah, Thanks Honda :ahh: ...Time to fix and sell I think. Why can't (all) auto makers build a good transmission like back in the 70's. :dunno: I mean my '73 AMC Gremlin had over 200,000 miles before it needed work. My dad never did anything to it before this...not even change the fluid...same with his '69 Plymouth and my '88 GMC.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I agree these transmissions are awful, but please do realize your 73 gremlin was probably using transmission technology that was 20 years old at the time, and already had the kinks worked out. The 2007-2010 odyfolks should thank us old-timers for making their transmissions more reliable :)

On a side note, a gremlin was only like a 2600 pound car, and had anywhere from a 2 liter to a 5 liter engine, but the 5 liter was truly anemic, producing only 150 hp. The other engines were somewhere between 100 and 150, it seems. The torque on the 5 liter should have been pretty good, but nothing compared to todays engines.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually the Gremlin weighed in at a whopping 3200 pounds (with a full 23 gallon gas tank). Mine has the 5.2L straight six with mega torque. I agree that the old technology was tried and true, then everyone got on the FWD band wagon and then got on the electronic controlled band wagon and now the only thing waggin' is my empty wallet. :eek:

Actually the technology IS getting better. My first minivan was a
dodge Grand Caravan. This had FWD and EC transmission. This transmission failed about every 50,000 miles. The Honda failure rate interval seems to be better it goes about 65,000 before transforming itself into a boat anchor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts