Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Awaiting delivery of our 2002 Odyssey. Want to put a hitch on. A few questions please.
1. Is the hitch clas II,III or can you choose?
2.I'm told some 2002 come with the power steering and trans cooler from the factory, anyone seen this?
3.How is the wiring set up as far as the plug?

Thank you, Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure what the class deliniations are. The "hitch" says 3,500 lbs. all over it (whatever class that falls in).
The wiring "plug" is another story. My Honda dealer swore up and down that was not something they can put on so I am still left with bare wires (the way it came). Not wanting to return to that dealer I am looking for an alternative to get the plug put on. Any Suggestions out there?

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
I forgot about the cooler part of your question. Mine was put on at the dealer as I think all of them are (a dealer option).

After close examination of the front grill I just hope I never hit something up front. There is so much "stuff" poised to be crushed it just may total the thing!

I am no mechanic but they look pretty simple to tie into the existing lines.

------------------

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweaver,

Thanks for thr input. Do you have a Master Hitch near you, I have used them for 2 Caravans in the past. They should get that plug on for you.

Was the ball additional?

The reason I asked about the Trans and P. Steering cooler is Master Hitch says they are on the vehicle already.

The 3500 lb. rating goes like:
Class II- up to 3500 lbs.
Class III - 3500 lbs. and up.

Generally the Class III will have a 2" channel and Class II a 1 1/2" (approx.) channel.

Did you see the kit before it was installed?

Thank you

·
Registered
301 Posts
TS45, The 2002 Ody requires both a heavy duty power steering cooler and auxilliary tranmission cooler be installed for towing. These are installed at the dealer.

The Ody comes with the standard power steering cooler and a transmission cooler built into the radiator.

You will find that most hitches for the Odyssey are of the class III variety as is the Honda version.

The wiring is found behind the Jack cover on the left rear side. You need an adaptor to wire up a trailer plug.

Check the Tech section as other have added hitches and wiring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FWIW: I was told that I would have to bring my adaptor in to have their techs complete the hitch installation. Their explanation was that they didn't know which trailer I was trying to mate up to, so it was my decision.

I had one dealer try to sell me an aftermarket trailer package that did NOT include the coolers. Needless to say, I insisted on the Honda package at the dealer I placed my order from. It was, of course, at a premium over the other package.

-Kurt

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed in the owners manual that Honda recommends a "weight distributing trailer hitch" for towing over 1850 pounds, something that the factory hitch is not. Be careful if you intend to tow over this amount. Also, they say your trailer should have brakes if its over 1000 pounds.

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moopie:
I noticed in the owners manual that Honda recommends a "weight distributing trailer hitch" for towing over 1850 pounds, something that the factory hitch is not. Be careful if you intend to tow over this amount. Also, they say your trailer should have brakes if its over 1000 pounds. </font>
OH really! They (dealers) seem to indicate that with the Honda hitch and coolers, you can do 3500lbs. Now you need a different type, which honda is not? Jeez, if the dealer can't advise technical specifications, who can? One paragraph in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
301 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
Jeez, if the dealer can't advise technical specifications, who can? One paragraph in the owner's manual?

</font>
Unfortunatly yes. Never rely on the the dealer. He is not Honda. He did not build or design your vehicle. The manual is your link to the manufacturer. The manufacturer also supplies the warranty so I would follow the manuals recommendations. If in doubt contact Honda directly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moopie:
I noticed in the owners manual that Honda recommends a "weight distributing trailer hitch" for towing over 1850 pounds, something that the factory hitch is not. Be careful if you intend to tow over this amount. Also, they say your trailer should have brakes if its over 1000 pounds. </font>
Were did you find that the Honda hitch is not a weight distributing hitch?

·
Registered
105 Posts
TS45, the tow ball was included (but I had to call another dealership during the sale to convince my dealer it was). I had to convice them to give it to me.

------------------

·
Registered
215 Posts
The weight distributing part of the hitch is not the normal little tongue and ball that you get with a hitch. It slides into the reciever that bolts onto the ODY. It is usually bought from a trailer dealer etc and not from a auto dealer. It uses the same frame mount but the insert is a lot heavier and complex with torsion bars etc. The trailer mating portions of the torsion bar are bolted to the trailer and is usually not something an auto dealer sets up. Ground clearance could also be an issue with this type of hitch. Try before you buy.
Regards
Al
( IOW-the part that is mounted on the chassis is the hitch "reciever). The part that slips into the square is the hitch. The weight capacity stated on the reciever is the rating for the reciever, not the insert. The towing capacity is the maximum the vehicle can pull down the road, but is not an indication of stopping ability. A 4400 lb. Ody pulling a 3500 lb trailer without trailer brakes would not be a pleasant experience in an emergency situation (or most others for that matter. I don't think the brakes are designed with that much extra capacity. Not only may you not be able to stop, the trailer can jacknife the unit.

Regards
Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 01-31-2002).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts