Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I'm posting again here hoping to find a response.

My 2018 EX-L (9 speed transmission) was purchased in Jan 2018 and right now I'm at 50k miles. I received a maintenance minder today to change the trans fluid. The manual says to change it at 60k miles under extreme driving conditions but I don't see the regular driving conditions interval. Wtf? I would think the interval would be around 100k, not 50. Is the computer telling me to change it early because of the way I've driven? Is it that smart? I purchased the fluid and new plugs (crush washers on the plugs are one time use) but it was expensive and I would like to return it if I don't need to change the fluid for another 50k miles.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Change the fluid. Don't wait for 100K. Most here do one trans drain and fill every other oil change.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the 9 speed transmission in the 2018. I see the ATF Type 3.1 is a bit more expensive. In the older models the fluid breaks down more quickly than Honda anticipated and they recommend changing it more often. There's a TSB stating as such for the 2016 and 2017.

If it were mine, I'd change it more often than Honda recommends. I've never worked on one so I can't even tell you how to change it.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Are you doing all the maintenance yourself and changing (and resetting) the MID before the oil life reaches 15%?
If so, you probably already missed a trans fluid change. While every other oil change might seem extreme, (I have been doing that with my 2002 and have 240k on the original trans) the interval is actually every 30k or every 4th oil change. It used to be every 45k or every 6th oil change. Or maybe you have the new ZF trans and Honda trans intervals do not apply. In any case, I would not use your prior experience with other cars automatics on a Honda.
Also, the fluid price seems high, did you price or buy the full capacity of the trans? Because the regular maintenance is just a drain & fill that replaces approx 1/3 of the fluid.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the 9 speed transmission in the 2018. I see the ATF Type 3.1 is a bit more expensive. In the older models the fluid breaks down more quickly than Honda anticipated and they recommend changing it more often. There's a TSB stating as such for the 2016 and 2017.

If it were mine, I'd change it more often than Honda recommends. I've never worked on one so I can't even tell you how to change it.

What the heck is this ATF 3.1 ?
I just went on the Amsoil website and entered the 2018 Odyssey and they don't have a compatible fluid for it, is there an alternative from Redline or maybe another manufacturer, that is more cost effective than the op is telling us?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
What the heck is this ATF 3.1 ?
I just went on the Amsoil website and entered the 2018 Odyssey and they don't have a compatible fluid for it, is there an alternative from Redline or maybe another manufacturer, that is more cost effective than the op is telling us?
The 9-speed transmission in the 2018+ Odysseys is not a Honda transmission - it's sourced from ZF. It shouldn't be too surprising that it uses a different ATF.

But given that ZF has sold that transmission to everyone and their dog in the automotive world, I too wonder how hard it is to find an alternative to the OEM fluid? For example, what do Chrysler owners use?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
They don’t. They throw away the old failed tranny (lifetime fluid!) and toss in a new one, and think “that’s a Chrysler for ya!”
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you doing all the maintenance yourself and changing (and resetting) the MID before the oil life reaches 15%?
If so, you probably already missed a trans fluid change. While every other oil change might seem extreme, (I have been doing that with my 2002 and have 240k on the original trans) the interval is actually every 30k or every 4th oil change. It used to be every 45k or every 6th oil change. Or maybe you have the new ZF trans and Honda trans intervals do not apply. In any case, I would not use your prior experience with other cars automatics on a Honda.
Also, the fluid price seems high, did you price or buy the full capacity of the trans? Because the regular maintenance is just a drain & fill that replaces approx 1/3 of the fluid.
But why change it every other oil change if the extreme interval in the manual is 60k miles?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Don’t do it every other oil change. Those of us with a 4th gen Odyssey or older are too used to providing that advice ;)

I’d do it at 60k as my wife’s short trips in the southern heat would qualify as severe circumstances IMO

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
But why change it every other oil change if the extreme interval in the manual is 60k miles?
You don't with this new ZF trans, my advice is based on Honda sourced transmissions. But despite what the manual says, the MID is telling you to do it now. That is what I would go by. The MID knows what kind of driving you do. Believe it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't with this new ZF trans, my advice is based on Honda sourced transmissions. But despite what the manual says, the MID is telling you to do it now. That is what I would go by. The MID knows what kind of driving you do. Believe it.
I drive like a grandpa in eco mode who watches the fuel economy 24/7! Is that true? Does it know how I drive? I've never seen the trans temp go anywhere above the center.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Where do you live, and is your driving primarily city? Short trips, slower city driving, hot climates are severe service. Easiest strain on the powertrain of a vehicle is prolonged highway driving. I live in FL and my wife’s slower short trips in 100 degree weather would qualify as severe imo and a minder going off at 50k wouldn’t surprise me (if we had your van anyway, I have the 2017 that requires more maintenance).

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I drive like a grandpa in eco mode who watches the fuel economy 24/7! Is that true? Does it know how I drive? I've never seen the trans temp go anywhere above the center.
Yes, the van knows how you drive, in finer detail than you probably do. The PCM tracks engine load, throttle position, engine coolant temperature, intake air temperature, air/fuel mixtures, fuel trims, oil pressure, oil temperature, timing advance or retard, transmission fluid temperature, rpms... these are just a few of the parameters I can think of quickly that are available through the OBD2 port. So if you can see them with a scanner, you can rest assured that the PCM knew it all first. How or if the Maintenance Minder uses any of that information is something I don't know, but it definitely has the data at its disposal.

How do you know your transmission fluid temperature? There's no built-in gauge - you'd have to be using an OBD2 scanner to get that data.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You actually have a tranny temp gauge?

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
The PCM also knows how many how many cold starts, how many hot starts, how many miles you drove between starts. Really everything.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Yes, the van knows how you drive, in finer detail than you probably do.
So true.

Similar detailed information is sent to your insurance company if you have installed their OBDII monitor device. One interesting data point that they examine is the number of hard brakings. Who knew??!!

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
davedrivesody
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing