Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Honda Odyssey EX with 191,xxx miles.

I've been noticing some trans fluid on the garage floor,
on the drivers side.
The trans fluid hadn't been changed in a while, so I took it to the Honda dealer about a month ago and had it changed.
While changing the fluid, the mechanic at the dealership noticed a leak, but couldn't say where.
Dealer offered me to bring it back for further investigation for $166. I passed on the offer.

The leak continued, so I took it to my regular mechanic last week and he replaced a seal on a trans line.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the fix.

Before taking it to a trans shop, just wondering what it could be, and if it's likely to be a costly repair?
The transmission shifts well and I haven't noticed any problems mechanically with it.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, forgot to mention this is the original transmission.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
It could be as simple as a a leaking drain plug or as complex as an output shaft seal. The usual diagnosis is to clean the area then spray on some tracing powder. Around here, $166 would get about 1.5 hours labor. I would want to know exactly what that money covers. Flimsy diagnostic procedure can create a black hole for money.

In the meantime, check the ATF level. The leak itself won't affect the transmission, but if the level goes too low it will cause problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be as simple as a a leaking drain plug or as complex as an output shaft seal. The usual diagnosis is to clean the area then spray on some tracing powder. Around here, $166 would get about 1.5 hours labor. I would want to know exactly what that money covers. Flimsy diagnostic procedure can create a black hole for money.

In the meantime, check the ATF level. The leak itself won't affect the transmission, but if the level goes too low it will cause problems.
Thanks, Dave.
I plan to take it to a trans shop for inspection tomorrow, and I've been keeping an eye on the level. So far it hasn't leaked enough to go low. I was thinking it could be the plug since the drip appears close to the left front wheel. If I get a chance, I'll take a look before taking it to the shop. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts