Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2000 Ody with 136K miles. Check Engine light produces code P0740 according to Honda Dealer says tranny issue $5000 for new transmission. I haven't noticed any slipping, etc. It's 3 years and 27K out of warranty. (7 year/109K).

I have all service done, including frequent transmission fluid changes. BUT, maintenance hasn't been done at a Honda Dealer. Is it still possible to get Honda to cover the cost of transmission if I pay labor? I was told "no way" due to 3 years and 27K miles out of warranty. ANYONE ELSE WITH EXPERIENCE???

HOW LONG COULD THE TRANSMISSION LAST considering it seems to drive fine right now. ?

I'm considering getting a reconditioned trans for half the price, considering I can buy 2 of them if needed over time for the same price as a new one, in hopes the 1st one lasts. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
664 Posts
If its not slipping, it's most likely a solenoid going bad. Replace solenoids, add in cooler, change fluids.

Thats about 400 bucks and a lot cheaper than a new transmission.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There is a lot of information to read in this forum. In our case we got the code. Drove OK for a few weeks. After about a month it was not driveable - slipping in 2nd, hard to go into gear.

Good luck. I would start shopping for replacement alternatives. If I had it to do over again, I would have a shop install a rebuilt tranny from one of the known rebuilders (Jasper, Gator).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts