Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ody Club Folks -

I'ver read your forum for years, and now I really need some advice. Thanks in advance for any input.

Our tranny burned up on the interstate yesterday. An out of town tow later, I am now trying to keep our 2003 Odyssey (with 135K on it) going for as many more years as possible.

My skill level peaks out with brakes and oil changes, so I need a shop to help me with this one. After researching my options, I can use one of two reputable shops in town for (all prices include installation):

1.) Pay $5000+ for a remanned Honda tranny (3yr. - 100K warranty)

2.) Pay $3500-3800 for a remanned Transtar tranny (3yr. - 100K warranty)

3.) Pay $2900+ for the shop to rebuild it themselves (1yr. - 30K warranty)

4.) Pay $2475 for a used tranny (with 80K on it already) to be installed (90 day warranty)

5.) Pay $2300 for a different used tranny (with 90K on it) to be installed (90 day warranty)

KBB says my van is worth $7000 in a party to party purchase (assuming the tranny were working).

What's the wisest investment for us?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I'd go re-manufactured but not through Honda. They obviously don't do any mods to make them better. Jasper and Gator re-mans seem to be the most talked about here and they supposedly do some mods to make them better. On Jasper's site you can look for local installers. I'd stay away from used, too much money to pay for a total unknown with only a 90 day warranty. Otherwise go with the one with the best/longest warranty and check to make sure it includes replacement labor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts