Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping to drive this vehicle into the ground, but my independent mechanic told me I should think again. He reports seeing a lot of vehicles of this vintage (mine has 150K miles on it) needing major transmission overhaul to the tune of $3-5K.

So I'm wondered how prevalent this problem is and what the likelihood is of making it to 200,000 mi. without transmission or other major problem.

Any opinions or data on this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
447 Posts
To coin a phrase: Do you feel lucky?? Well do ya????

I think 3/4 of the folks on here are in the same boat. There's lots of transmission threads to read on this site. Get a comfy chair and a coffee.
Really though, sounds like you have an honest mechanic!!

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Statistically, you are more likely to get involved in a wreck than your tranny dying. So, are you going to stop driving?

If I were you, I'd keep driving instead of stressing over. WIth 150K, the van's hardly worth much. Drive it till the tranny craps out on ya and then when that does happen, think if you want to sink the 2.5K or so to replace the tranny to get a new car. Life's short and there's no point in stressing over an issue that might not happen to you.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Actually, if you are the original owner and if your driving habits have not changed over the years, you might actually be able to drive this van on the original transmission easily until 200K. Remember that most problems show up well before 150K and if yours has passed that mark, I think you probably are in clear now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What is the condition of the rest of the van? Even if you were to have to spend $3K to replace your transmission, what could you buy to replace your van with $3K?

The advantages of keeping your van are: 1) you already own it (and it's presumably paid off), 2) you know its maintenance history, and 3) it's probably the least expensive option as far as transportation options go (unless a family member donates or leaves a newer, low-mileage one to you).

My sister has owned her '99 Ody since new and just paid $5K for its third tranny at about 150K miles. She will keep it until the engine dies. I have a 2001 with almost 150K miles on it now, and I plan on owning it for at least another 10 years (I just bought a "parts" 2001 van with one dead cylinder and a weak tranny for $100, so I now have spare glass, sliding door parts, engine accessories, etc). I do most of my own work so I am not worried if my tranny bites the dust (but still would really tick me off, but I really like the van otherwise).

It's really up to you. Like the above poster said, there is a lot to read on here regarding transmissions. You can search on 'gator' and 'jasper' remanufactured transmissions, as many have had success with those for a reasonable cost (going to the dealer like my sister did is the MOST EXPENSIVE option, but they did it because the van was dead over 200 miles away from home and they didn't want to deal with towing it to a less-expensive independent shop closer to home).

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think the bottom line is that you need to decide if the van is worth keeping even if you have to replace the tranny. If not, then the most cost effective is to sell it now while
it's still good and you can still get some cash for it. (of course, this is assuming you can afford a newer vehicle).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts