Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission on my 2002 clunks when I shift into reverse from a cold start. This has become more noticeable after the cold weather arrived. The engine revs quite fast at first and if I shift into reverse it clunks. If I wait a bit and then shift into reverse it is OK. Also it doesn't happen when the car has been driven and is warm. Is this normal for Honda's to have to wait before shifting into reverse? I haven't seen this in the other auto transmission cars that I have owned.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On a cold start mine revs around 1500-1600 rpms for 15-20 seconds and then slows down to about 1000-1100 rpms. I usually wait until the revs drop before putting it in gear, so I have never experianced the "clunking".

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
859 Posts
Now that you mention it, yes my '02 clunks going into reverse when first started now that it's colder out. Since the Ody has been sitting since yesterday, I just started and drove it after reading your post. Even waiting for the revs to settle doesn't help much. I waited about 60 seconds and it still clunked.
I backed the Ody out of the garage and tried putting it in park and back into reverse and it clunked again but not as hard. Then I tried putting it in drive and back into reverse, it clunk again. After warmup this clunk into reverse vanishes. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
I haven't seen this clunk on an automatic before either, at least not this noticable.
Hope this doesn't develope into a problem.
I'm looking in the '02 Ody Factory Shop Manual and this particlular symptom is not covered in the Symptom Troubleshooting Index for the automatic transmission.

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Winter Blizzaks on GXE rims).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

[This message has been edited by Aardvaark (edited 12-31-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just out of curiosity what kind of miles are on your vans. Mine only has 500 miles and maybe it hasn't "loosened up" enough yet. I'll let you know if I start to hear it.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
859 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaners:
Just out of curiosity what kind of miles are on your vans. Mine only has 500 miles and maybe it hasn't "loosened up" enough yet. I'll let you know if I start to hear it.

</font>
1600 miles on mine.
-Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been saving these replies for a while.
The questions come up occasionally.
From www.edmunds.com:

#525 of 1409 odyfan by auburn63 Mar 10, 2001 (07:49 pm)
Honda does feel that their trans design will last longer than that of a stacked trans. I don't think it is a dollar thing because Honda transmissions parts are some what expensive.
Internaly they are set up alot like a manual trans is but the clutch packs don't do as good of a job as a syncro does.Most of the engagement noise is because of a lack of a syncro of some sort and the straight cut of a reverse gear.They don't always line up and as the gear is trying to engage it sometimes loads up until it pops in.In the older ones it would make a bad ratcheting sound as it played roulet falling into gear : ).
Don't know the answer the the towing question so i will have to check out the book and if I remember I will ask tech line..

After some researching, I believe that I've found the cause of the reverse engagement noise from D4. It's coming from the "counter-shaft reverse selector" smashing the counter-shaft reverse gear while trying to engage into it from counter-shaft 4th gear. The reason for noise to occur only from D4 is "reverse selector" being moved only when direction is changed. This also explains why Honda advice when towing an Ody with the front wheel on ground, the van needs to be shifted to D4 first, then into N. Otherwise, reverse gear would be engaged insteads of the 4th gear by reverse selector. I've noticed that neither counter-shaft reverse gear nor counter-shaft 4th gear have synchros to ease the engagements. Due to this particular "BAD??" design, therefore, slight movement of countershaft while shifting from D to R or R to D will cause extreme loud engagement noises and will do major damage to both set of gear.
Also, the infamous "Bang in Reverse" is caused by - guess what? - "reverse selector" not fully engaging the counter-shaft reverse gear. The TSB# is A00-065, issued by Honda on 8/22/2000.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My cure for reverse cold shift

My 04 has has this sympton when cold since day one...

What works for me (and it was -10C this morning) is just to shift to Drive first... I wait one minute and then shift into reverse and the clunk as its called is gone..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: My cure for reverse cold shift

bbylon5 said:
My 04 has has this sympton when cold since day one...

What works for me (and it was -10C this morning) is just to shift to Drive first... I wait one minute and then shift into reverse and the clunk as its called is gone..
Great minds think alilke - I've been doing exactly that too. Must have something to do with ATF getting into all nooks and crannys - which would take longer when it's cold and thicker and therefore doesn't flow as readily. I guess putting it in drive gets some ATF flowing around the transmission, as well as warming it up just a tad so it starts to flow a little better. Whatever is happening, this does get rid of the dreaded clunk on cold mornings.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My routine to minimize or eliminate clunks:

start -> 15 secs in park -> 15 secs in D (foot securely on brake) -> Reverse -> proceed normally

Clunks have nearly vanished since I started doing this. Also, when I shut the engine down, I turn the key off in N, and then shift to P. Probably not necessary, but if you pause at all in R on the way up to P before shutting the engine off, you can get a good clunk there too.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
While you are pausing in N, set the parking brake and take your foot off the brake before putting it in P. Doing so keeps the weight of the van off the parking cowl. It will come out of P like butter. (it may have no reverse clunk benefits) Parking this way is essential on any hill. Or even a slight incline.

·
Registered
444 Posts
egads said:
While you are pausing in N, set the parking brake and take your foot off the brake before putting it in P. Doing so keeps the weight of the van off the parking cowl. It will come out of P like butter. (it may have no reverse clunk benefits) Parking this way is essential on any hill. Or even a slight incline.
absolutely agree (and follow) that one!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'll have to try these tricks again.
After 5 yrs, mine is still clunking.
The first round of trying different starting
proceedures didn't help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
wow, i thought that this was normal!!
so if there is a tsb, i wonder why honda never informed me?
guess i will ask next time its in-

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks guys. I just bought an 02 and had the reverse clunk, my heart sank, figured someone dumped it off on me before the tranny went, again. Now I know its just one of those things, a design flaw.

·
Registered
225 Posts
no big deal..

We live on a small hill. Our driveway is a bit steep. Sometimes our does the "clunk" going into reverse. Its not going to hurt a thing. Ive never seen an automatic that didnt do this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe I don't understand the original post clearly but this is exactly what my 2000 did before I replaced the Engine Mounts.
The engine was attempting to exit the vehicle and not in a subtle way.

After the new mounts there is Zero noise.
In fact a lot of other shakes and shudders and basic disturbing behavior has just vanished with the new mounts.
It is amazing.

Good Luck

·
Registered
230 Posts
At first I was concerned about my '04 and the clunking issue, my previous Ody was a '00 with no clunk. I would like to add my Grand Marquis which has 165k miles also clunks in a similar manner while it is cold. This alone has also eased my worries about this particular anomaly.

·
Registered
608 Posts
For those of you with the clunk into reverse: do you also have a rough downshift into low gear at slow speeds?

For example, I'll slow to make a turn in a neighborhood and then hit the gas. If I'm going slow enough it'll downshift into 1st gear and the shift seems pretty harsh. It never did this before but both this symptom and the reverse clunk started the same time.

It's too bloody cold out to check my front engine mount very well--but my passenger side mount looks just fine.

Let me know if you have the same issue. I'd really rather have the problem be the engine mount than the tranny--obviously.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts