Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife heard a clunk the other day. Does anyone have a good desciption of what other people have experienced?

Any links to TSBs on this problem?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Druce sent me a private email and told me about his symptoms of his tranny clunk at just 965 miles. He's getting a new tranny.

Symptons of the rear clunk: when going from either D4 to R or N to R, you get a loud "bang". It's sort of like shifting into reverse while the car's moving forward, even though you have come to a complete stop.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I can't believe I missed that post.

TSB# is A00-065, issued by Honda on 8/22/2000

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
67 Posts
The "clunk" that I have in my 1999 occurs differently. It occurs most often in parking lots as slow speeds, 0-20 mph. Put the car in drive or reverse and travel 15 -25 feet an then tap the brakes to stop. The clunk occurs when touching the brakes. The noise sounds like metal hitting metal. Tap the brakes again and it does not happen until you stop and repeat sequence. The sound comes from underneath the driver and forward. The dealer is taking a test drive today. One note is that I had the selenoid relpaced when I took delivery 7/99 due to poor shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My service manager said the "clunk" issue has to do with brakes and the calipers. He said there was a TSB open on the issue and that the first action was to replace the brake pads. He said that there have been so many complaints that Honda is covering the issue under warranty. He also said the issue will come back with time and wear. Has anyone else had this issue? I am a bit skeptical of the explanation since the "clunk" is so loud.

[This message has been edited by sab2624 (edited 04-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sab2624 (edited 04-03-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi,

Could someone PLEASE describe to me, how the van feels when shifting to Reverse from either N or D4? As I had posted earlier, I had picked up my van from the dealers in hope of having a shifting noise fixed. The noise is sort of like a loud thud, like those you get when you park your car on a hill, shift into park (before applying the parking brake) and trying to shift out of park afterwards.
They (dealer) said that they had replaced the tranny (now I'm not so sure), it was okay for the first day or two, but now it's like being back at the beginning. So, please advise me if the transmission is suppose to do this???? Thanks.

Druce

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi,

Could someone PLEASE describe to me, how the van feels when shifting to Reverse from either N or D4? As I had posted earlier, I had picked up my van from the dealers in hope of having a shifting noise fixed. The noise is sort of like a loud thud, like those you get when you park your car on a hill, shift into park (before applying the parking brake) and trying to shift out of park afterwards.
They (dealer) said that they had replaced the tranny (now I'm not so sure), it was okay for the first day or two, but now it's like being back at the beginning. So, please advise me if the transmission is suppose to do this???? Thanks.

Druce

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are noticing a clunking sound when we start our 2001 Oddysey. It happens every fourth or fifth time we start the car. It happens while the car is still in park. Anyone have similar problems?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hear this when I try to put the car out of park ONLY when on a slope. I've heard this in my previous cars so I'm not worried about it.

Funny thing though that my Dad's new Maxima doesn't do that.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
188 Posts
That noise when shifting out of park when parked on a slope is due to the weight of the car put onto the tranny (not good). Ideally you're suppose to set your parking brakes first, then shift into park so that the van does not have a chance to "roll onto" the transmission after taking your foot off of the brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where can I find these TSB's issued by Honda? I just took my Ody in for a couple of things and got the old "it's normal" speech from the service advisor. I'd like to take a little bit of information back to them next time.

TIA !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too have "Clunk". Mine is like the one saab2624 posted at the beggining of this string.
If drive forward slowly. Then stop. Put car in reverse and back slowly I hear "clunk" near front left tire/engine area. Stop again. Put car in 'D' and now go forward slowly - "clunk" again ????
Sounds to me like calipers? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your issue is probably the brakes. The service dept mgr explained that the brake pad shifts within the caliper causing the clunk. There is a TSB on the issue. My clunk is fixed now. The service dept turned the rotors and put new pads on. I did notice that they greased up the calipers a lot. He did warn that it could come back. They fixed it at no charge due to the number of complaints that have recieved. I wonder what they will do when it comes back at 50K miles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

I thought it was gone per my previous post. It still does it whether you have the parking brakes on or off. There are a few times though that it doesn't do it. I guess the time I thought it was fixed was when it decided to stay quiet. Oh well. I'm sure there is really nothing wrong... just sounds bad.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought that my 2001 LX ODY is free of this "clunk" problem that the others are getting. Today, it happened. While waiting for the green light, I decided to down shift from D4 to D3 with my foot on the brake pedal. All of a sudden, I heard a loud bang. My wife thought that a car had just rear ended us. You can feel the thrust forward. I usually do this down shift but it is the first time with the AC on. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

-----------------
Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
In a weak moment, we purchased a used 2000 Ody EX (should have put up with the '88 Grand Caravan another month or so and bought a 2001, but that's another story).
We had some long talks with the dealer's general manager about the whole sales experience, and he agreed to do a few things for us, like install a hitch (when the bought the van, it had a hitch, but apparently someone high-graded it for their own rig!). We had also noticed one seat belt not always retracting.

(hold on, keep reading, if you're wondering if I'm replying to clunks or not)

So, we made the appointment for the hitch and for them to look at belts. (and to clean the carpets, etc.) In the meantime, we started a list of things we had noticed, which might need attention, like -- drive forward, stop, back up, hear a CLUNK in 15 or 20 feet. So, we mentioned that to them, and I said I thought I had seen mention of a TSB.

To their credit (or maybe, so they could bill Honda America and make even more money on the deal), they found several minor recall items to fix, and -- ta-da -- they ordered a new transmission. (hey, we got about 115,000 miles on the Dodge tranny before it had to be rebuilt). So, next week, at about 29,000 miles, we will be taking it in for a new transmission.

So, if the clunk bothers you -- tell them you've heard they can give you a new transmission under warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sab2624:
The "clunk" that I have in my 1999 occurs differently. It occurs most often in parking lots as slow speeds, 0-20 mph. Put the car in drive or reverse and travel 15 -25 feet an then tap the brakes to stop. The clunk occurs when touching the brakes. The noise sounds like metal hitting metal. Tap the brakes again and it does not happen until you stop and repeat sequence. The sound comes from underneath the driver and forward. The dealer is taking a test drive today. One note is that I had the selenoid relpaced when I took delivery 7/99 due to poor shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears. Will keep you posted.</font>
Hello all, I have a 99 Emerald Green EX with 33,000 miles, and I have been experiencing the same problem as
sab2624 for quite some time...which is, when I place it into reverse, stop, place it into D4 and at somepoint I apply the brakes, I get the metal banging sound (every time). I can repeat this procedure and it happens again and again...I just thought this was normal. I had purchased this from a private owner so I'm not sure when this noise started to appear. Otherwise, it's been as awesome vehicle. I'm wondering if the dealers would still cover me under warranty. Does anyone know where these TSB's are located?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts