Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my van used and going on the 2nd transmission. 207K+ miles Noticed it slipping and shifting hard. Was far away from home and babied it all the way home until it really started acting up. Exited the freeway, gear shifter won't go into 1st or 2nd, only P,R,N, & D. Made it home safe. But now need to know where in SD or SOCAL to go to. I have AAA and can tow it anywhere within 100 miles.

I seen on Craigslist:

Talked to him seems very helpful and even from his Yelp reviews.

*** HONDA ODYSSEY TRANSMISSION SUPER SALE!! ***

California Transmission & Auto Repair - Huntington Park, CA

If you know anyone else or closer to SD, please let me know.

Thanks in advanced!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thats where i've been to recently, he promised me certain parts, as he knows all the buzzwords, but when it came down to it, he used second class materials for my rebuild. Originally they say they were going to use transtar and raybestos, On the day itself, he said they were out so they ended up with NATPRO and precision clutches (altho he told me he is using OEM clutches), he was able to rebuild it in a day.

2 wks later, the tranny was slipping again. i brought it back to him, he tried changing all the solenoids and switches to no avail. and he asked me to schedule a day so he could replace the tranny with a rebuilt of his own. at least he is honoring his warranty. we will see if his rebuilt will be better. I'm hoping he used better parts.

I am using Racing ATF, altho, he doesnt believe in that, he let me use it. so at 1000mi, because it was slipping, i did a drain and fill, there was a medium amt of clutch material on the drain plug... afterwards, its still slipping.

His shop specializes in Honda and Acura and certain GMC Trannies. i do see lots of Transtar boxes and honda ATF so i do think they are using them, i just might have the luck that they did run out of those parts that day. i paid 1760 total with engine mounts replaced. 1500 just for the tranny with 2 yr warr.

hope that helps

CK

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CK, So would you NOT recommend this place? I know you get what you pay for... I replaced my trans for my 2003 Accord (same prob) for $2200 and really don't want to spend near as much on this van that has 200k+. Only logical to spend the $775 + $175 install with the 1year/12K. with this many miles i don't expect a whole lot into this van if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As to a recommendation, I am on the fence. They seem to know what they are doing but at the same time the parts they used for my rebuild was... not good... but that was a on the spot rebuild. what they normally do is a 1 day replacement. So, until I get my Tranny replaced and see what goes in a month... I dont know what to say.

At the same time, if you plan to have a working vehicle for longer than their given warranty. then i would recommend going to a better shop if you know of one and spend that 2200 there instead of the 1000 with these guys. coz they will try to sell you something. in my case, the 3 engine mounts.

If you do decide to let them do it, make sure to get a quote in writing. if you are going to get it rebuild. insist only on Transtar and Raybestos. I am doubting they will agree but i havent been stubbornly insistent that first time i spoke with them.

from what i've seen after doing a drain and flush, (with just 2k mi) their clutches are not as good as the oem ones. lots of crud on the drain plug. and thats with 3 new filters. (inner, outer and magnefine)

CK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got mine rebuilt here in ohio. Cost me 3,200 for complete rebuild and motor mounts. i needed new case also and new torque converter. But I also got a 2 year 24k national warranty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check out Certified Transmission of Santee or Certified Transmission of Oceanside. They are separate businesses, but both are members of the nationwide trans rebuild organization called Certified Transmission. I have heard good things about both of these places, but so far have only had a fluid change. When mine goes I will probably take it to the one in Oceanside since that is closer.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Make sure the builder gives you nationwide warranty such as ATRA; Odysseys are known to blow the transmission with very little or no warning somewhere far away from the home, especially when they have been rebuilt once.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wish i knew these things before i went to get my tranny rebuilt.... would have saved me a lot of time and grief... please keep adding more info everyone.

Thank You.

CK

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everywhere i call in SD wants to drain your bank acct. I've been calling around and quotes for 2100 to 2600, same warranty 1year/12k.

I've been in Touch with CAL Trans Isreal and his brother, Seems legit, will honor warranty, and also if you want to add 1 more year to it add $175. My van has over 200k, I don't expect this to last forever and don't want to spend alot of money so I think I will tow my van up there (thanks Triple A). Crossing my fingers and hope this works out. We all know that these Odysseys have crap trans but if I get another 50k-100k out of this than I'll be happy. He quoted me $725 + Install $175 and tax on just the trans. I expect he'll also ask me to replace the trans mounts as well. I tried locally but no one seems to have in stock. I'll update this and see what happens.

I wish i knew these things before i went to get my tranny rebuilt.... would have saved me a lot of time and grief... please keep adding more info everyone.

Thank You.

CK

·
Registered
157 Posts
No Worries, They are legit biz, i just dont know if their prebuilt rebuild will be better than the rebuild they did for me. I will be going back there next sat to get the tranny replaced... at least you are going in with your eyes open. i paid for a 2 year/24k warranty. hoping it will last longer than that, i do love the Van and would like to keep it as long as i need it...

CK

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I am sad to say but after going through this forum, I have come across very few instances where the rebuilt did not blow up prematurely. There may be at the most four or five such examples.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
van is on it's way up. We'll see.... They also asked me if i wanted to extend the warranty for $175.00 for the 2 year/24k. If i get another 100k out of this van i'll be happy to get up to 300k. How long do these motors last? Faulty design of this tranny is poor cooling. Is there a mod for adding a trans cooler? Would that void the warranty from CAL trans?

No Worries, They are legit biz, i just dont know if their prebuilt rebuild will be better than the rebuild they did for me. I will be going back there next sat to get the tranny replaced... at least you are going in with your eyes open. i paid for a 2 year/24k warranty. hoping it will last longer than that, i do love the Van and would like to keep it as long as i need it...

CK

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have Jasper rebuild in my 01 that the previous owner put in at 159K. I'm at 220K now and while I am getting P0740 codes, they do not appear to be related to the clutches and poor shifting. It simply often fails to go into lock-up mode. Still runs cool with a slight hit on fuel economy. The fault may be in the torque converter or may be in one of the solenoids (the lock-up one) but my point is that none of these appear to be the fault of the rebuilder. For what it is worth. Lighter use definitely seems to prolong these transmissions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had my 2003 Honda Accord V6 with the same issues and paid $2200 bucks. I actually seen the trans apart and seen what the actual failure begins. The main shaft that holds the gears crack, and the valve bodies (o-rings) go out. He welded for strength the main shaft and installed custom billet pieces that hold the pressure in. I didn't want to spend $2200 on my van this time around. So i know that if they just use the factory replacement pieces it should last another 80k-100k. I'm assuming. The torque converter isn't an issue or the solenoids. They re-used mine (accord) and so far so good.

I have Jasper rebuild in my 01 that the previous owner put in at 159K. I'm at 220K now and while I am getting P0740 codes, they do not appear to be related to the clutches and poor shifting. It simply often fails to go into lock-up mode. Still runs cool with a slight hit on fuel economy. The fault may be in the torque converter or may be in one of the solenoids (the lock-up one) but my point is that none of these appear to be the fault of the rebuilder. For what it is worth. Lighter use definitely seems to prolong these transmissions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Just got the van back. I had AAA tow it both ways. So it saved me time & money. Haven't went on a test drive but it seems to engage quickly and smoothly.

Orig. quoted $970 installed with tax, add tranny mounts, & external tranny cooler with lines. I'll get better pics tomorrow of the cooler installed. Total $1270.

Isreal & Tony were pretty cool and up front. They called me before, during and after it was completed. For a small shop. I thought that the customer service was excellent.

They mentioned that #1 failure is keeping the fluid cool, usually the stock radiator/tranny cooler isn't adequate enough and clogs up. When i get pics you'll see why. I agreed and for the simple upgrade of $125 (included with the $1270) can't hurt. I'll update tomorrow.

·
Registered
157 Posts
just curious. I have triple A also. how did you get them to tow that far? and both ways too! was it free or did you have to add on?

i plan to have them replace my tranny next week. will also update.

CK

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Put a handful of miles this morning, trans shifts smoothly, so far.

The external cooler is 7" x 15" using 1/2" lines in & out. I think anything over stock is an upgrade. Someone post this as a mod. This area is behind bumper towards the center / license plate.

So far, so good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts