Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2002 Odyseey. Looks to be in great condition . My only concern is that the owner (the original owner) says that the transmission has never been fixed with exception of module and fluid changes. Van has 234K Km (145K miles). Is transmission failure and the huge repair bill inevitable with this van ? Dont want to buy it if I have to spend big $$$ on fixing the transmission.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
There is absolutely no way for any of us to know the answer to that question. If the fluid has been changed regularly that's a plus but the transmission on those vans were problematical. There's a good chance you'll have transmission problems in the future but some have had them last a long time. There's just no way to know.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yep, it's a roll of the dice WRT the 2002 transmission, with the odds slightly in the house's favor.

Some other factors that could make this a worthwhile purchase:
- the van has an auxiliary ATF cooler
- higher percentage of highway driving
- the oil jet recall has been done

Some downside factors:
- higher percentage of city driving
- towing

Otherwise, this is a terrific van that can go reliably to 400K km. (240K mi.) if regularly maintained.

Dave

·
Registered
722 Posts
Just discount the purchase of the Van. Asking price minus the cost of transmission rebuild. Shop around and find out what a good, non dealer charges.

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you discount the price by the amount of a trans rebuild, the owner might have to pay you to buy the van!

I have an 02 with 155k miles. No problems, no special treatment. Wasn't until 130k miles I even knew the vans had trans problems, so did a 3x drain and fill with miles between each. There are 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensors that can fail and give you a flashing D, but they are cheap easy fixes.

They were recalled to have an oil jet put in where the fill hole was.

Personally, I would avoid buying a Honda Ody. Trans problems are expensive and not easy to fix. Why not look at a Sienna (make sure it is not engine sludged). The other issue is the airbags in the Ody are Takata airbags, which were recalled and replaced, and will probably need to be recalled and replaced again in 4 or 5 years. If you are buying any older vehicle, check the Takata airbag list. Avoid them.

This site has Takata airbag recall info. Many who have not had recalls yet will - recalls are prioritized. Car makers continued to sell new cars with faulty Takata airbags until sometime in 2017, I believe. Yes, you could have bought a new car within the last two years that had potentially deadly airbags and they will get around to replacing them in 4-6 years. https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/takata-recall-spotlight#consumers-schedule-recalls

Article about new cars with faulty airbags: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-takata-idUSKCN0YN4JC

·
Registered
24 Posts
The transmission on my 2000 Ody EX still runs like that day I got it in April 2000. At 224,000 miles today. Sixteen summers of towing a pop-up camper an average of five times per season. I DO have the tow package, which includes the auxiliary transmission cooler. That being said, I've heard the same stories. A friend says the tranny dies around 220,000 miles. So, I won't be surprised if/when it does. But, not a problem or a slip or a bump yet! Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check this link Re Honda transmissions, lots of helpful information. Check brisdancedotcom. Problem is a design flaw that continues to haunt these transmissions.

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
I’m pushing 230,000 miles on the original transmission in my 02. Bought it with about 36k, had the oil jet recall done right away, and have been changing the trans fluid every other oil change ever since. (Normal drain and fill) I think the current version of the Honda atf is much better than what was used originally.
Our 03 lost it’s trans at about 135k, it had the oil jet at higher miles (but as soon as it was available) that van did a whine on a long trip once, before the oil jet. Honda actually kicked in a little on the replacement, even at that high of miles. (We we’re having three different Honda’s serviced at that dealer) My daughter still drives that 03, With the replaced trans now with about 280k. Neither van had any towing package or aux cooler. (Neither ever did any towing either) I think fluid changes are key. That is true of any Honda automatic. Always was.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I've read the web page that Fikkr mentions, and it is legit: LINK. Excellent treatise on why changing any user-accessible filter as well as periodic drain/refill of ATF is crucial in these vans.

Besides the flow problems identified by the NHTSA in the V6 Accord and Acura 3.2 transmissions of the time period (5-speed AT nearly identical to the BYBA 5AT in the 2002-2004 Odysseys), that web page author also covers the TCC PR (torque converter clutch pressure regulating) valve problems of the design.

ATF changes are crucial in Honda AT's of any flavor, as mentioned by egads. I can't speak for the newer 9-speed and 10-speed AT's, as they are very new designs...but, they also use several clutch packages (each looks like a big jet brake stack, miniaturized), and they will wear over time, like any wet clutch pack, depositing a large spectrum of wear particles into the ATF...the only way to remove these wear particles conclusively is via filtration and drain/refills.

Even though I own a pair of Odys (2002 & 2003 EX) with both approaching 200,000 miles on original transmissions, I would most likely pass on purchasing that 2002 Odyssey.

Only the last few months of Gen 2 production (2004's with VIN's numerically higher than the last 6 digits of this sample VIN: 5FNRL18…4B051620) had the flow repairs to the 3rd clutch pack that were causing the bulk of the problems. ALL of these Gen 2 vans, and the 2005-2006 vans, have a linear-operating TCC PR valve that resides in a machined bore, and as the bore wears, a combination of that wear and high ATF temperatures can cause the TCC to be partially engaged while stopped, thus resulting in very, very high ATF temperatures within the TC itself.

OF

·
Registered
722 Posts
I’m pushing 230,000 miles on the original transmission in my 02. Bought it with about 36k, had the oil jet recall done right away, and have been changing the trans fluid every other oil change ever since. (Normal drain and fill) I think the current version of the Honda atf is much better than what was used originally.
Our 03 lost it’s trans at about 135k, it had the oil jet at higher miles (but as soon as it was available) that van did a whine on a long trip once, before the oil jet. Honda actually kicked in a little on the replacement, even at that high of miles. (We we’re having three different Honda’s serviced at that dealer) My daughter still drives that 03, With the replaced trans now with about 280k. Neither van had any towing package or aux cooler. (Neither ever did any towing either) I think fluid changes are key. That is true of any Honda automatic. Always was.
Hope you are correct. 2001 original owner. 204,000 miles. 4th transmission. Started doing the drain/fill every other oil change. (4000 mile oil change). Tranny filter added when 4th tranny installed. Currently approaching 50,000 miles on number "4". Curious, if this tranny lasts longer. Previous 3 lasted more/less 50K miles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a competent rebuilder that the flaws of the trans and how to correct them.
I purchased my wife’s 01 back in 2011 with 198,000 miles on it, trans was rebuilt by a local rebuilder a few months before I purchased it (paperwork was in the sun visor, only reason I bought it).
I added a trans cooler and magnefine filter a few months after I bought it.
I do a case of trans fluid alternating between a 4X drain and fill or fill and flush through the trans return line until I get clean fluid every 20k.
She now has over 300,000 miles on it now and no issues.
I get the P0470 check engine light when the fluid starts to degrade, change the fluid and no more code. It’s been that way since I bought it.
I never let my fluid get dark or rancid smelling, change it well before then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The torque convertor in my '99 Odyssey failed after all these years. It cost almost $5k to rebuild, and I consider it a bargain since I plan to keep it forever. By and large it's been a real workhorse, and I couldn't have chosen a better vehicle for my needs.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Few years ago, had my 2001, tranny rebuilt. $1900. Independent mechanic. Assume you went to Dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts