Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Great video - thanks for going to the trouble of making it!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the ATF filter serviceable in 2011 EX-L Odyssey? I doubt its only in touring.
Couldn't find any filter at honda online stores and also can't locate in engine bay.
No easily serviceable filter in the 5-speed transmissions, you have to take the transmission out to replace it.

The video is on the 6-speed transmissions, which the 2011-2013 touring models and all 2014-2017 odysseys have. 2011-2013 LX, EX, EX-L have the 5-speed.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...The video is on the 6-speed transmissions, which the 2011-2013 touring models and all 2014-2017 odysseys have. 2011-2013 LX, EX, EX-L have the 5-speed.
UHH
Dang
Did you leave that important info out?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can you do a video on changing out the headlights to HID? I have a new kit but can't seem to get them to light up.
Stock headlights are terrible.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you do a video on changing out the headlights to HID? I have a new kit but can't seem to get them to light up.
Stock headlights are terrible.
Wish I could but I already have OEM HIDs. PM me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
At what mileage are these recommended for change? I was just in there last night doing the pressure switch from your video, should of done this one as well haha. But now I know how easy it is to get to.

·
Registered
418 Posts
At what mileage are these recommended for change? I was just in there last night doing the pressure switch from your video, should of done this one as well haha. But now I know how easy it is to get to.
There is no listed mileage for replacement in at least my 2017 manual. I’ll hang around to see what others recommend. Maybe I’ll do mine at 50 or 100k but that’s an arbitrary number I’m making up myself.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
There is no listed mileage for replacement in at least my 2017 manual. I’ll hang around to see what others recommend. Maybe I’ll do mine at 50 or 100k but that’s an arbitrary number I’m making up myself.
I'm not aware of any maintenance-related document from Honda or anywhere else that actually says that filter should be changed (even though plain old common sense would suggest that changing it sometime would have to be a good thing). It's quite strange that it practically never gets mentioned.

My plan is to change it when the battery finally kicks it and needs to get replaced. When 90% of the job has to happen anyway, I don't think it's a big deal to take the few extra steps and make things nice for the transmission while I'm in there. Our original factory battery is coming up on four years old, so based on everything I've read here and what I've experienced with my previous vehicles, I'm expecting to get maybe another year or so out of it.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No specified interval. I would change the ATF filter every 50k-60k miles. Clean ATF is more important IMO, change the ATF every 20k-25k under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not aware of any maintenance-related document from Honda or anywhere else that actually says that filter should be changed (even though plain old common sense would suggest that changing it sometime would have to be a good thing). It's quite strange that it practically never gets mentioned.
If you go the the dealership or ask Honda about changing the filter, they will say "it's not serviceable" or "it doesn't exist." The don't care about the important things, they just need to rip you off, like charging $500+ for a front brake job or $3,300 to replace a "leaking" power steering rack...when only a $12 hose needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh
Someone is a little testy

·
Registered
851 Posts
Im on my third filter. Second time and beyond it was a lot easier to replace. Simple to do so no reason not to change it every few trans drain and fills. I’m averaging about 60K miles per filter. Seeing Honda believes they are not needed to be changed it’s an OK interval for me. I pull the battery and battery tray for this service. Makes it very easy to get at it.

After the fact it’s fun to cut open filter to look for potential trouble. I typically only find a very fine powder like material mixed with the fluid. I think it’s left over clutch band and disk material that has abraded away some. Very little of this so I’m fairly confident the trans will continue to treat me right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
16 Participants
parmm
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing