Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
The filter is there for forensics, not maintenance. MrRanger, did you do any analysis on what was in the filter when you took it out?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The filter is there for forensics, not maintenance.
Could this really be true? A filter whose purpose is only to record the condition of the transmission internals/transmission fluid? This is a bit of a mind-bending concept for me.

This filter could serve a diagnostic purpose, because we know that Honda has had reliability concerns in the past and they'd legitimately like to know what's going on in there. But it could conceivably be used to tattle on an owner who claims that they've kept up on maintenance but in reality hasn't. Which is good, I suppose. It keeps the warranties the rest of us enjoy within reach.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Could this really be true? A filter whose purpose is only to record the condition of the transmission internals/transmission fluid? This is a bit of a mind-bending concept for me.

This filter could serve a diagnostic purpose, because we know that Honda has had reliability concerns in the past and they'd legitimately like to know what's going on in there. But it could conceivably be used to tattle on an owner who claims that they've kept up on maintenance but in reality hasn't. Which is good, I suppose. It keeps the warranties the rest of us enjoy within reach.
I sensed a hint of humor with the forensics comment, lol. I was hoping we’d get a pic of a cut open filter too but I couldn’t put a funny spin on it asking like Egads

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

I sensed a hint of humor with the forensics comment, lol. I was hoping we’d get a pic of a cut open filter too but I couldn’t put a funny spin on it asking like Egads
Hmm... maybe I am reading things a little bit too literally today...

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Oddly, i’m dead serious. In the second generation, where transmission failure was almost assured, one of the criteria for dealers doing warranty replacements was to drain the fluid through a filter and send the filter and it’s contents with the failed trans.

Now I think if any of you want to be that obsessive (or proactive) and change it on some schedule, go right ahead. I am also curious about the contents of the removed filter. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Damm, I've never changed my filter! Oil, yes, all the time. Found an OEM (25430-PLR-003) on ebay for $14.00 delivered.

Thanks for the post!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes I’ve posted in the past the cut open filter contents. I’ve not found any problems inside other than a dark oil residue believed to be clutch band tailings! Very small amount so not a concern but glad I’ve changed it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I do my 4454 Trucool install I'm going to replace the OEM unit and install a Magnefine at the end of the loop as well in an easier to get too location. That one I'll change more often.

This video was my blueprint for how I'm going to tackle the OEM when I get too it.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oddly, i’m dead serious. In the second generation, where transmission failure was almost assured, one of the criteria for dealers doing warranty replacements was to drain the fluid through a filter and send the filter and it’s contents with the failed trans.

Now I think if any of you want to be that obsessive (or proactive) and change it on some schedule, go right ahead. I am also curious about the contents of the removed filter. Is it worth it?
I saw 2nd Gen Ody with the tranny all tore apart many years ago and stayed far away from Odys for many years. Am on my 2nd Ody now and those Transmissions still scare me!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
16 Participants
parmm
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing