Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Transmission filter?

1593 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  phattyduck
I can't find anywhere where there is a transmission filter. Is there a filter?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
2011-13 LX/EX/EX-L do not have an external filter.
2011-13 Touring/Touring Elite have an external filter.
All 2014-17 have an external filter

· Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2011-13 LX/EX/EX-L do not have an external filter.
2011-13 Touring/Touring Elite have an external filter.
All 2014-17 have an external filter
Is there a replaceable filter anywhere? I know it's normal in my older vehicles (non-Honda) to drain the fluid/replace fluid and then replace filter at same time. I have 2011 EX-L.

· Registered
7,291 Posts
Is there a replaceable filter anywhere? I know it's normal in my older vehicles (non-Honda) to drain the fluid/replace fluid and then replace filter at same time. I have 2011 EX-L.
Sure, just remove the transmission from the van first. The external filter is the only filter that can be easily replaced.

Other vehicles often have an external transmission filter or one inside the transmission pan. Honda has not been consistent with including an external filter with their different transmissions.

· Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, just remove the transmission from the van first. The external filter is the only filter that can be easily replaced.
Wow! You have to completely drop the transmission and remove it to replace the filter that is usually in the pan?! That's a bad design. What do most people do? Just skip that part?

· Registered
7,291 Posts
Wow! You have to completely drop the transmission and remove it to replace the filter that is usually in the pan?! That's a bad design. What do most people do? Just skip that part?
Yes, it's not really needed. Just keep up with fluid changes at least every 30k and you're good to go.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

· Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's not really needed. Just keep up with fluid changes at least every 30k and you're good to go.
Yeah, my issue is that I bought it with 129k miles on it and the fluid is darker. It's not burnt, but it isn't fresh either. I am changing it soon, but it sucks that I have to bypass changing a filter too.

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
575 Posts
Yeah, my issue is that I bought it with 129k miles on it and the fluid is darker. It's not burnt, but it isn't fresh either. I am changing it soon, but it sucks that I have to bypass changing a filter too.
Best bet for you is to do the 3x drain and fill job. It replaces most of the ATF that way. Just drive a couple hundred miles in between drain and fills if you can manage it to mix the new fluid in there good.

Also consider switching to a synthetic fluid. Honda vans and suvs tend to be pretty hard on ATF so a little extra thermal capacity really helps. Valvoline Maxlife seems to do very well in the 5 speed and is reasonably priced.

Edit: A few people have added an inline filter on the return line so it is possible, but it's not very common or really necessary.

· Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best bet for you is to do the 3x drain and fill job. It replaces most of the ATF that way. Just drive a couple hundred miles in between drain and fills if you can manage it to mix the new fluid in there good.
That's the plan, but I already bought a case of Honda fluid. Every mechanic I know and see (these are friends and online mechanics) says with Honda you should only use Honda brand fluids (mainly when it comes to transmission, steering fluid, and coolant. I don't want to risk it.

· Registered
7,291 Posts
That's the plan, but I already bought a case of Honda fluid. Every mechanic I know and see (these are friends and online mechanics) says with Honda you should only use Honda brand fluids (mainly when it comes to transmission, steering fluid, and coolant. I don't want to risk it.
That should be fine. While other fluids can work, you can't really go wrong with Honda fluid. I usually stick with DW-1. If you don't want to pay the Honda price for it, you can get it from Idemitsu. They're the ones that make the OEM Honda fluid.

After this 3x drain and fill I would check the fluid condition whenever you change the oil and keep an eye on it for a while to see if it would be a good idea to do one more. But once you get it all squared away, you should be good with just one drain and fill every 15-30k.

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,435 Posts
There is no pan on (most) Honda automatic transmissions. It is built more like a manual transmission than an automatic.

The 'filter' on most automatics generally never needs to get changed if you keep up with transmission maintenance - the one in the pan is normally just a screen anyway. If it gets clogged, you have bigger problems than needing a new trans filter. Not exactly comparable, but I have over 300k miles on my 4Runner transmission on the original filter...

-Charlie

· Premium Member
3,167 Posts
You should spend a little time under your van. The Honda 5-speed and 6-speed automatic transmissions don't have sump pans at all; the ATF drains from a port in the side of the transmission case itself.

If you're interested in understanding how Honda-designed automatic transmissions work, this link has a really good writeup of the history and design basics:

If you want to install a replaceable ATF filter on your 2011 EX-L, then a Magnefine filter spliced into the ATF return hose is an extremely good option.

Reactions: latitude500

· Registered
263 Posts
to piggyback on this thread related to the transmission, I just found a video on a 2006 Ridgeline that bypassed the trans cooler in the radiator to avoid a SMOD issue cross contaminating coolant and transmission fluid when the lines in the radiator get corroded. Are the 5 or 6 speeds Odyssey’s vulnerable to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,435 Posts
cross contaminating coolant and transmission fluid when the lines in the radiator get corroded.
Why exactly are the lines getting corroded? If the coolant and trans fluid are changed on schedule, there should be no problems internally (in the bottom tank heat exchanger). Any corrosion external (this happens on the hard lines attached to the back of the radiator in the salt belt) will just cause a trans fluid leak but it won't mix fluid.

I haven't seen one report of trans fluid and coolant mixing in this generation Odyssey. It theoretically can happen to any vehicle that uses a trans fluid / coolant heat exchanger though...

-Charlie

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Registered
263 Posts
Why exactly are the lines getting corroded? If the coolant and trans fluid are changed on schedule, there should be no problems internally (in the bottom tank heat exchanger). Any corrosion external (this happens on the hard lines attached to the back of the radiator in the salt belt) will just cause a trans fluid leak but it won't mix fluid.

I haven't seen one report of trans fluid and coolant mixing in this generation Odyssey. It theoretically can happen to any vehicle that uses a trans fluid / coolant heat exchanger though...

-Charlie
Yeah, not sure how corrosion would start in the sealed lines. I was asking more as a hypothetical situation. I live in a heavy road salt area so I’m always watching out for rust. I saw that Ridgeline video as a suggested video when I was looking up something else about the Odyssey and wondered if that should be something on our radar.

· Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Yeah, not sure how corrosion would start in the sealed lines. I was asking more as a hypothetical situation. I live in a heavy road salt area so I’m always watching out for rust. I saw that Ridgeline video as a suggested video when I was looking up something else about the Odyssey and wondered if that should be something on our radar.

Nah, that's only for Toyotas. :p

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,435 Posts
Nah, that's only for Toyotas. :p
When you don't take care of them and they are 20+ years old... (4Runner owner here...) For reference, here is the trans cooler from my 4Runner at 270k miles and around 20 years old. It had semi-regular trans fluid and coolant changes through its life.

Notice build up from cheap coolant, but no corrosion. When they do go bad, it is the joint between the outer fitting and the inner heat exchanger. They do go bad when coolant and trans fluid isn't changed, the corrosion inhibitors wear out and allows corrosion around the heat exchanger. If that has a leak or hole internally, it mixes trans fluid and coolant.

4th gen Odysseys are still too young for the problem.

-Charlie

Reactions: CroMath
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.