Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Transmission fluid high? Is this okay?

1227 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Buffalo4
So online there is things saying if transmission is a half or quarter of a quart too high it is okay, but I don't know if mine is higher than that or not. Below is a picture (i marked where my fluid is showing with a red line (THE PICTURE IS NOT MY DIPSTICK I JUST USED IT TO DRAW THE LINE TO SHOW YOU WHERE IT IS ON MINE SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK). Is this okay?

Tool Wood Font Temperature Natural material
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11,023 Posts
It will probably be okay.

The upper dot level ensures enough open space inside the case for fluid expansion as it heats up. Any fluid above the upper dot reduces that expansion space. But I'm sure Honda allowed for a slight overfill like this when they set the dipstick marks.

Next time, replace only the same amount as was drained (adding for underfill or subtracting for overfill). It's a lot easier to add a bit more if needed than to remove a bit if it goes over.

· Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next time, replace only the same amount as was drained (adding for underfill or subtracting for overfill). It's a lot easier to add a bit more if needed than to remove a bit if it goes over.
Interestingly enough I did try to do that. I drained it and then poured a quart and filled that quart with the old stuff, and so on. On the last bottle I overfilled the old stuff in the empty quart and I judged it, and then the bolt loosened and leaked some of the new stuff. So I added slightly more. I did a lot of guess work because of the bolt and overfilling the bottle and must have overshot a little.

· Registered
3,671 Posts
It looks like a cup or less over. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're gonna' have trouble sleeping, that's what matters, so suck out a cup through the dipstick tube (if yours still has one), or the fill hole.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

· Premium Member
8,819 Posts
One of our Odyclubbers found that the difference between the dots (on center) is 1 pint (16 fl ounces). This was on either a Gen 2 or Gen 3. Given the Odyssey transmissions all have fairly similar total ATF quantities and sump volumes, I don't see any reason why it would be different for later generations of Odyssey.

Like @Ted said, you appear to be less than a cup over. It would not trip my "worry meter."

It will probably be okay.
Agreed.

OF

Reactions: marmaladeboy

· Registered
2003 EX-L
3,911 Posts
I usually keep mine at that level or even an 1/8" higher than what you show when I do a drain and fill.
Proper way to check: Ody is level, ATF up to operating temp and level checked within a minute or less after turning the engine off, so they say. Most times I have to remove and insert the dipstick several times to get a good reading.
When I remove the dipstick, I immediately hold it horizontal and try to read it in the sunshine or good light. Very new fluid is hard to see.
Buffalo4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.