Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2010 Odyssey is always parked in the garage. Today when I came home from work my wife was still out with the van and I noticed 5 to 6 dime size drops of reddish fluid on the garage floor where the van would normally be parked. I checked under the van when my wife got home and I found the transmission was slightly wet with fluid on the underside. I checked up top to see if maybe it was a leak that trickled down but everything was bone dry up there. I dried everything off with a shop towel and will look at it again in the morning to see if it is coming out of one particular spot.

This is not good and completely unexpected with such low miles on the clock. Is there a common problem with the transmissions in the late model Odysseys as far as leaks?

Any replies and comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Take it to the dealer ASAP and tell them what happened...it is under warranty.

Check your fluid levels to see if anything is low. If it is low, don't drive it until you top off the fluids to prevent any damage. Might be a simple fix or a major problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
It could be a simple not sufficiently tightened bolts on the tranny case at best and a porous tranny case at worst. There have been cases of porous tranny cases or even engine blocks causing fluid to seep out. Like Marjen says, take it in and use that warranty the van came with and report back the dealer diagnosis.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I took the Odyssey to the dealer yesterday to have it looked at. The tech acknowledged and verified the fact that the fluid was transmission fluid. He removed the inspection cover and used a camera probe to check the area between the trans & engine (bell housing area where the torque converter and flywheel are located. He said there was a small puddle at the bottom most part of the bell housing and the inside surface area of the bell housing was damp with fluid. He cleaned all of the transmission fluid from the inside of the bell housing area and also cleaned the exterior surface of the trans that was wet. I was given 2 scenarios as to the cause of the fluid leak:

a. When the trans was assembled, there may have been some spillage of fluid from the torque converter and it is making its way out now. I find this highly unlikely and so does the tech.

b. The transmission case material is more porous than it should be which is allowing the transmission fluid to "bleed" through. The tech has a feeling that this is more likely the cause and admitted that they have never seen this in an Odyssey but have seen it in other models (Pilot & Accord).

I have to now monitor the transmission to see if the leak returns. If it doesn't, the leak will be attributed to spillage at assembly. If it does, the leak will be attributed to a porous transmission case and the transmission will need to be replaced under warranty.

I am hoping for the best as I am having trouble finding any kind of excitement or joy knowing that our BRAND NEW HONDA ODYSSEY with a mere 3,000 miles may already need a MAJOR component like the transmission replaced. What happened to "Legendary Honda Reliability"?

Does anyone think I have a chance with any other recourse with this should it turn out to be a faulty transmission besides having the trans replaced? Can I demand my money back & return the van? The van is driven by my wife with my 1 year old daughter as her passenger. My wife is now starting to feel that the van may not be reliable since a failure like this occured so early.

The tech also told me I should be glad I didn't buy a 2011 Odyssey. He said they are having many problems with them. The first 3 2011 Odysseys that were sold all came back with different problems. As a tech, he has noticed a decline in the quality of Honda vehicles accross the line recently.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So far, you have done what you need to do and Honda has done what it needs to do. They are obligated to fix the van and that's it. If they fail to fix the van in a reasonable period of time or fail to provide a fix that's more than temporary, then you have a different set of options.

I think your wife's concerns are overblown. This is more of a PITA than anything. I don't think you have a reliability issue here...this is something that gets fixed and that's it.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I agree with shall36. Its just a porous tranny case. If that is what it is, they will replace the whole tranny or just the tranny case and that will be that. Enjoy the ride. Life's too short. Now, if they weren't helping at all, then that would be cause for alarm.

As to the tech saying he hasn't seen it on an Oddy, that I am not too sure is true. It has happened across all models including Odys as far as I have seen. Its not very common but it does happen from time to time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks to all who replied...I appreciate the info & comments. If it winds up being that the trans will need to be replaced, will the replacement trans be new or rebuilt? I would expect it to be brand new.

BTW...I have driven the van ~ 150 miles since being at the dealer and the bottom of the trans still looks dry.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
OdyDa-Da said:
BTW...I have driven the van ~ 150 miles since being at the dealer and the bottom of the trans still looks dry.
If the trans looks dry leave it alone, just check the ATF level once a month and you shoukd be fine.

Replacing the Trans is no joke, it does not matter which car you do it, it is an 8-10h job, with so many things that can go wrong, even with professional technicians.

I had my 2001 Ody trans replaced at dealer (good-will warranty), they messed up a few things but was OK.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OdyDa-Da said:
Thanks to all who replied...I appreciate the info & comments. If it winds up being that the trans will need to be replaced, will the replacement trans be new or rebuilt? I would expect it to be brand new.

IF the problem is a porous case, they will replace the entire unit.

Replacing a trans is not a big deal for a good tech. He should be able to RR the Odyssey trans in about 4 - 5 hours...maybe less. Being thorough is the key to everything working right the first time.

This whole deal is a big pain and I would be pretty ticked off if this were my new van.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another Update:

Checked the bottom of the trans again this morning and I can see slight traces of red transmission fluid at the transmission/bell housing seam. Looks like it's still leaking/bleeding out. Not enough has come out where it has caused fluid to be on the garage floor yet.

This totally blows. My wife and I are in disbelief that this is even happening with our Odyssey at all and so early on. The Ody is our 3rd new Honda ('05 Accord & '09 CR-V) and more than likely our last. Completely unacceptable especially since it's a Honda product. Sorry, that's how we feel. $34,000 POS at this point.

Please don't preach about the factory warranty...we understand that's what it's there for.

Sorry...pissed and needed to vent. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
613 Posts
porous castings do happen. Caddy had northstar engines that had porous block castings that caused coolant leaks, their solution was to add stop leak to all of their vehicles!! And this from the top of the line car for GM. Dad had a '70 toyota and he does his own repairs, he noticed when doing a waterpump the inside of the water passages was sealed with epoxy type coating to make sure that type of thing didn't happen to Toyotas. I guess it depends on how much quality the MFG's want to put into the product.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to say..as i drank the Honda Kool-aid as well....the odyssey is just a average vehicle. I'm sure the Honda Fan Boys will jump in here and spew about how great the van is but in reality its average at best. Have them fix it and just live with fact that the van will have issues from time to time. The board is full of problems you will encounter...hopefully yours will be minor..i have had my share..it eats batteries and tires..its loud on the road, the pwr steering pump, the rear motor mount, some odd drone, brake TSB and on and on. Stay tuned for the Fan Boy's and the search Nazi to chime in...i love when they defend a mini van as if it were something special...or even better..a car to be proud of..its a mini van..nothing special.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After doing some more research online and reading about so many complaints about the Odyssey (ESPECIALLY transmission problems) I am starting to believe that Honda is paying off Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Had an 05 and an 08. Had.........
Looking forward to many more of your posts. :D Nice vans with extremely pizz poor build quality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As an 05 EX-L owner, I must agree with the recent posters. Odyssey's reliability is poor and the worst of all Honda is doing nothing (or very little) to fix the problems. Generation after generation we are witnessing the transmission problems ( along with other persistent problems). EX-L is my third Honda in the last 15 years but it will be the last one.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I joke I will start putting Honda badges on shopping carts and selling them on C'list. "OOOHHH, the Honda H2000 cart, I hear it gets more groceries per aisle than other carts." :(

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
HONDA SUCKS.

There. Got that out of the way. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts