Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a drain and fill done on the tranny of my 07 EX Ody, as part of the 60k mile maintenance (at independant mech, not Honda dealer). No, not a powerflush, just a complete drain and refill.

Van is noticeably smoother at the lower speed transmission shifts. That was my only complaint with the van to date was the harsh feeling low speed shifting/hunting between gears. Yes, the latest update had already been applied.

Honda dealer and mechanic (who to his credit drove the van with me in it for 20 min to try and reproduce the shuddering issue stated in the recall) verified that it was operating normally (prior to the drain/fill).

Now with the tranny operating better, I plan on doing the drain/refill every 30K miles to keep the van running happily.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the 60K service at 58k miles a while back. My wife took her '06 in for an oil change and they now are recommending that they drain off 3+ quarts and a refill- AGAIN as you did recently on your '07.

What's the deal with this? The van has only 10000 miles on it since their "60k service" and now it needs the fluid changed again? And, they don't even service the filter?

We gave up our Ford Windstar POS for a Honda which I still think was a great idea. I just see this transmission fluid change at $70 each time a joke and a weakness in Honda. We have the extended warranty and have done "What Honda recommends" yet the fluid is dirty at 68K now.

I guess I should start doing this maintenance myself!!!!

-Bob:DD

·
Registered
286 Posts
One drain and refill will remove about 50% of old ATF.
3 drain & Refill will remove around 85% of old ATF.
So, the recommended method is at least 3 ATF drain & refill every 30K miles.

An alternative method: After getting to 85% ATF freshness, you can stay with 1 drain and refill every other oil change (10K miles) to maintain high degree of freshness.

Reactions: egads

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
What's the deal with this? The van has only 10000 miles on it since their "60k service" and now it needs the fluid changed again? And, they don't even service the filter?
The deal is that someone needs to make that boat payment. They will take you to the cleaners and then some if you let them. You don't necessarily have to start doing your own maintenance but you have to pay attention to what they do each time to ensure they don't re-do unnecessary fluid changes unless they're doing 'em for FREE.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One drain and refill will remove about 50% of old ATF.
3 drain & Refill will remove around 85% of old ATF.
So, the recommended method is at least 3 ATF drain & refill every 30K miles.
An alternative method: After getting to 85% ATF freshness, you can stay with 1 drain and refill every other oil change (10K miles) to maintain high degree of freshness.
Who recommends this? If it is your personal recommendation, I respect it as such. I change ATF every 10000 miles or less in my own garage but still, trans failed soon. Just a personal preference that may be of no benefit for the weak Odyssey transmission. Might be different issue in 2005-2010 where shudder is common. Shudder can come from breakdown of friction modifiers. Change of ATF brings new friction modifier.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am not arguing whether this 3X drain/refill will prevent transmission failure.
I just point out how Honda does a complete ATF replacement.

See: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A080100.pdf

1. Set the parking brake, and raise the vehicle on a lift.
2. Drain the trans, and refill it with Acura Precision Crafted ATF-Z1.
3. Start the engine, shift into Drive, and release the parking brake.
4. Push down on the accelerator pedal to raise the vehicle speed to 2,500 rpm.
If the trans shifts past 2nd gear, go to step 5.
If the trans won' t shift past 2nd gear, keep the engine speed at 2,500 rpm and shift from Drive to Neutral and back to Drive. Then go to step 5.
5. Make sure that the trans shifts through all the forward gears and goes into torque converter lockup.
6. Let off the accelerator pedal, and press the brake pedal to drop the vehicle speed to zero. Shift into Reverse and then into Neutral.
7. Shift into Drive, and repeat steps 4 thru 6 four more times.
8. Set the parking brake, and repeat steps 2 thru 6 two more times.
9. Drain the trans, and reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer.
10. Refill the A/T with ATF-Z1.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
There are essentially 2 ways an A.T. can fail:

1. Wear/Tear: worn clutch discs.
A good transmission typically has no issues with this until about 160-200K range.
So routine ATF drain/refill may (or may not) prevent this.

2. Failed Solenoids. This is an electromechanical device, so like any electrical device, it can fail at any time.
Routine ATF drain/refill will not prevent this mode of failure.

PS: Torque Converter failure is an entirely different issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am not arguing whether this 3X drain/refill will prevent transmission failure.
I just point out how Honda does a complete ATF replacement.

See: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A080100.pdf

1. Set the parking brake, and raise the vehicle on a lift.
2. Drain the trans, and refill it with Acura Precision Crafted ATF-Z1.
3. Start the engine, shift into Drive, and release the parking brake.
4. Push down on the accelerator pedal to raise the vehicle speed to 2,500 rpm.
FWIW, I did a 3x drain/fill last weekend, the first two I D/F and drove it, but I grew tired of the calisthenics on the 3rd D/F and ran it on the jackstands like tsn quoted above. I may have done it a little too long as the ABS, VSA, and Brake warning lights came on when I returned it to the ground. Fortunately, after driving 50 feet all those codes cleared themselves.

Just a heads up if someone else gets "lit up" with MIL's after doing this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for the 'late' reply. I continued to have the dealer service the trans with the drain/fill at least 2 times since I posted this in 2011. Since June 2018, I have drained the fluid out myself and refilled now 3 times in the last 14 months. Van has 178,000 on it now (August 2019) and transmission is still in great shape. Thanks to all who replied. I will continue to drain and fill the fluid....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up after 8 years! It's great that you are doing this yourself now. It is very easy to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up after 8 years! It's great that you are doing this yourself now. It is very easy to do.
My 07 Ody, 169k miles, started the chudder two weeks ago, happens in 20-50 mph range, did 3X drain not much improvement. Dealer had TC replaced back in 2010 and all latest SW update. So this may be it for this van. The question is how long can it go before tranny shutdown completely, and how does it happen, gradually or sudden?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It might be worth trying a different fluid such as Valvoline Max Life and adding Lube Gard instant shudder fixx and Lube Gard protectant. Many people have had success doing this. Can’t really hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts