Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing my first transmission flush on our 2015 elite. I've searched through all the posts about transmission fluid replacement and I found that there is a consensus about not flushing and just doing a 3x drain and fill. I 've changed fluid before in other cars where I unhook the return line to the transmission and run the car to drain all the stuff from the torque converter and radiator as well (after draining the drain pan and then overfilling the pan with new fluid). Is this not recommended for the odyssey? I'm usually pretty lazy and don't want to drain and fill 3 times like most of the posts suggest. I'm going to use honda dw-1 fluid. I've used the valvoline maxlife before in other cars with good results, but for the ody, I'll stick with the honda atf. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
ATF Flush is strongly not recommended by Honda. Just drain and fill the ATF 2-3 times with some driving in between (2k-3k miles) that's the safest way to do it. The idea is to slowly introduce the new ATF, not shocking the transmission. ATF drain and fill is very easy, it's much easier than fiddling around with the return line and what not.

I would stick with ATF-DW1.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I second that suggestion to do the D/F. Just do one with the next oil change, one a day or week later, and a third a day or week later. If you're ocd and want to adhere to the manual, do a fourth a day or week after that.

I am not a fan of DW-1, but definitely stick to something recommended for this application. Many people have used Redline D6, Amsoil, Maxlife, Castrol import, etc. I currently use pennzoil platinum LV and like the way it works. It is hard to find though, unless you have a pep boys or well stocked home depot near you..

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I've changed fluid before in other cars where I unhook the return line to the transmission and run the car to drain all the stuff from the torque converter and radiator as well (after draining the drain pan and then overfilling the pan with new fluid). Is this not recommended for the odyssey?
There are two downsides to doing it this way:
1. Fluid shock, as mentioned above.
2. It doesn't remove all the ATF. Nor does multiple drain and fill's, but with this way an owner might incorrectly assume that the ATF is as fresh as when it left the factory, and not do it again for too long.

A drain and fill is easier than changing the engine oil, and much easier than disconnecting lines. You can, and should, space each drain and fill in proportion to the mileage on the old ATF. The older the ATF, the longer between each drain and fill.

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
How do you guys add new ATF fluid to the transmission tunnel? All the long funnels i have tried to purchase have their opening too wide and none of my funnels seem to work. Last time I did this, i made this convoluted flask type system but it was error prone. Could someone send me a picture of a funnel they have used or just describe it so i could look for it on Amazon?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yes. It is kinda under and behind the air box. If you get a ladder or stool and lean in over the air box you can see it. Might be easier to just remove the airbox, but I just use a long ratchet extension to reach it. I also spray the plug area with brake cleaner before I remove it. Don't lose the washer on the plug, or you will have to buy another one (learned this the hard way).

This thread has an image. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-2017-odyssey/149958-changing-transmission-fluid-sooner-than-honda-recommends-3.html

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's on the top of the trans tucked up in there. IME it's a waste of time on the 4th gens. just fill SLOOOOOOWLY via the dipstick tube. I use one that looks identical to this guy:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Funnel/20440553

The only 'spillage' was because I got impatient with filling, and added too much too fast... take your time and nary a drop will drip.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ATF Flush is strongly not recommended by Honda. Just drain and fill the ATF 2-3 times with some driving in between (2k-3k miles) that's the safest way to do it. The idea is to slowly introduce the new ATF, not shocking the transmission. ATF drain and fill is very easy, it's much easier than fiddling around with the return line and what not.

I would stick with ATF-DW1.
Note that I mentioned above waiting a day to a week between d/f. However, it may be better to wait longer as MrRangerZr1 suggests. This approach also has the advantage of aligning with oil changes. Just do one with an oil change, one a few months later (halfway between oil changes), and then a third with the next oil change.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's on the top of the trans tucked up in there. IME it's a waste of time on the 4th gens. just fill SLOOOOOOWLY via the dipstick tube. I use one that looks identical to this guy:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Funnel/20440553

The only 'spillage' was because I got impatient with filling, and added too much too fast... take your time and nary a drop will drip.
Does that funnel fit into the tube? I tried a few years ago but it was too big.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,823 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
This is the funnel I use. The long clear plastic tubing fits comfortably inside the dipstick tube with a little space around it for air to escape. I haven't spilled a drop of ATF yet.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/plastic-funnel-with-handle/A-p4270167e;jsessionid=92WdisbBLXlJEfx3fSJ6ho3J.pal-prod-com1

I think the fill plug on the top of the transmission case is a real pain in the backside to get at in comparison to the dipstick tube. Nothing wrong with either fill point.
That's the best funnel to use. Yeah the ATF fill plug is hard to get to in the 4th gen.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I started this thread a while ago outlining the drain and fill process on my 2015, and I took some decent pictures of the funnel/extension that I used via the dipstick tube. Using this method is much easier that going through the fill port, and there was no need for me to add the fluid slowly at all. I could empty the entire quart of fluid easily using it this way.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-2017-odyssey/262841-2015-transmission-drain-fill.html

On page 14 of the thread, there are videos of the process also.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I use a 4" piece of heater hose that has been shaved down on one end to allow it to fit snugly into the dipstick tube. My funnel fits nicely inside the heater hose. No drips and mess and I can fill slow or quick. Quickly filling will cause a buble to form and it can splash back. As long as you have one of the long slender funnels and only fill it about half full you will be good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use this funnel from Harbour Freight on my 2013 Odessey - at $4 it's great. https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-long-neck-black-funnel-66479.html Fits over the dipstick plug just fine.

I've tried using the actual ATF fill port, but I couldn't get the bolt lose. Tried extensions, etc finally after I broke a socket wrench I gave up. Dipstick works just fine, and for me, isn't slow.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts