Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I did this exchange today at the the suggestion of my maintenance minder.
My 2013 EX-L has 79,4019 miles and this is the second trans fluid exchange I have done.

My first exchange was at 50,000mi and it was ready. I did a drain and refill x3 with Honda DW-1. At the current mileage (30,000mi later) I have been requested to do another exchange and after doing the first I would say it is ready again.
Honda Odyssey Trand plug at 80k mi.jpg

I have come across writings that talk about Honda trans fluid shear.
It seems like this (picture above) is too much wear (metal) for an ATX that is at the 50,000mi-80,000mi interval (30,000mi of use after a 3x drain and refill).
I understand the possibility that there is likely to be more wear at the onset of transmission use (new) because of clutch seating and assembly debris however, I would expect this to reduce, especially since I did a drain and refill 3x at 50K mi
Transmission Partial Drain Calculator Honda Odyssey 3.5L v6.jpg
Anyhow (Honda DW-1), the single fluid drain I was planning on doing will now be at least 2 drains. The fluid did not smell burnt but is was fairly dark. It still appears "red" when smeared on white paper but there were definite pools/streams of dark fluid when draining.🤷‍♀️
20200223_115407.jpg

cheers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Zombie Thread Arise!!!

30k, that's pretty dark. New OdyClub Slogan "Keep Your ATF Fluid Red!" ;)

I probably over-change, but I do a 1x update every oil change with Valvoline MaxLife, now 49.5k on our '16 EXL. The fluid is red all the time, the transmission is happier, shifting smoother, no complaints from the spousaul unit, easy to do. And yes, that looks pretty nasty on the mag drain plug. I just added a Magnefine (magnet filter) in the transmission cooler loop I just completed installing this weekend (TruCool 4454); I'm sure that additional filter will help with this.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts