Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this issue? I’ve brought it up to the dealership and have been having this issue since we got the 2018 EXL back in Sept 2017. I’ve played around it with it and have finally been able to recreate the same situation with the following conditions. While maintaining a constant acceleration keeping it between 1-2 rpm, right around ~24 mph , the gear shifts loudly and it jolts the van. Which under other circumstances it does not. I’ve been able to replicate it starting the car, or having the car already warmed up and every time if I simulate the same conditions it happens again.

Is is it just me? I did mention it during the last oil change but they were unable to replicate the same result. I have recently been able to tune it precisely to the 1-2 rpm constant acceleration and ~24mph speed .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have this issue? I’ve brought it up to the dealership and have been having this issue since we got the 2018 EXL back in Sept 2017. I’ve played around it with it and have finally been able to recreate the same situation with the following conditions. While maintaining a constant acceleration keeping it between 1-2 rpm, right around ~24 mph , the gear shifts loudly and it jolts the van. Which under other circumstances it does not. I’ve been able to replicate it starting the car, or having the car already warmed up and every time if I simulate the same conditions it happens again.

Is is it just me? I did mention it during the last oil change but they were unable to replicate the same result. I have recently been able to tune it precisely to the 1-2 rpm constant acceleration and ~24mph speed .
I had (maybe still having) same issue while ago.
It somehow gone since i put high octane gas
like 92. Maybe it could be my own trick LOL
Just try it see what happen. Also make sure
gently pushing down ur accel paddle while ur car pass the speed of 24 mph.
BTW you dont have to keep use the high octane gas. I am back to regular 87 now since the problem is gone

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had this problem but either it went away or I don’t notice it anymore. Initially I noticed it when I was stuck in slow moving traffic going about 25mph. Getting on the accelerator gently and letting go would jolt the van as the transmission shifted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
One of the gears (like maybe gear 3) runs up the rpm's much higher than the other gears before shifting. Just look at your tac and you will see the difference. Mine also seems to have "smoothed out" over time (no more jerking) but I still see the higher rpm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes! I have the exact problem with the exact same symptoms. I can replicate it at around 1900 rpms and 24mph.
I took a video of it which I will bring to the dealer. I will try the higher octane as I noticed it stopped for about 2 weeks but as of yesterday was back.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is due to the design of the gears of this transmission. It is not a defect, just an annoyance. It has been well documented by many people across many automakers that use this ZF 9 speed in their cars. More info about it here..

·
Registered
72 Posts
According to the video, the shift from gear 4 to 5 should feel different because it uses the dog clutch (with teeth) rather than meshing clutch plates.

I'm not positive if that lines up with the speeds / RPMs people are reporting here, but it would be consistent with the "clunk" feeling that I've certainly experienced on light acceleration

·
Registered
271 Posts
According to the video, the shift from gear 4 to 5 should feel different because it uses the dog clutch (with teeth) rather than meshing clutch plates.

I'm not positive if that lines up with the speeds / RPMs people are reporting here, but it would be consistent with the "clunk" feeling that I've certainly experienced on light acceleration
Its gears 4-5 and 7-8 are the dog clutches I believe. With shifting into second gear at only 4-6 mph when driven slowly/lightly, I wouldn't be surprised if 24 mph hits 4th/5th gear as this tranny is designed to save gas as the primary goal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Glade that you open this thread

I have same exact problem. purchased on August 2017. At 1st 2000 miles no issues at all. when reached at 3000 miles couple months ago this problem started at 25 MPH speed. exact 25 MPH while driving in low speed roads (meaning driving in city).
Sound is so weird that i thought at some point this car needed new transmission.
Then my 1st oil change is due and i went to DCH paramus nj honda dealer. i brought up this issue to them. later same day i got call from service center that technician does not found any noise or jerk. then i pickup my car from dealer after oil changed. now that i notice this problem is gone completely. i dont know its bcoz of oil change (which i think probably not bcoz there is no connection) or dealer did some programming reset and they didnt told me.
after couple of weeks of oil change now again car reacting on 25 MPH but very very low noice & jerk.

I really not happy with honda on their transmission. BTW i am honda fan from 2006 and this is my 3rd Honda in 12 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I brought my car in for this issue. I took a test drive with the mechanic and I recreated the problem 4 or 5 times and he captured it with the computer. He sent it to Honda Tech Line and the response I received is that this is "normal". Obviously, I do not agree. It has now gotten worse with the jerking and lashing at the same 24mph. I'm not giving up on this issue. Will keep you posted

·
Registered
966 Posts
Interesting post, guys. Honda seems to obsessed with "that's normal." Are any of you also hearing the rattle noise on acceleration? I just had an oil change, and the rattle is worse! I really hate this 9-speed piece of crap. Why couldn't Honda put their nice smooth 10-speed in the entire trim line???

Let me know about the noise. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am wondering if any of you have this issue fixed. My 2018 EX-L started to have the same problem at 20,000 mile. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have driven 2 Honda Odysseys over the past 17 years. I purchased both of them used. One was a 2001 EX-L and the other at 2005 Touring. The transmissions in these cars were stellar. I sold my 2005 last year with 177k miles.
My 2018 EX-L was my first Honda new car purchase and I have been extremely unhappy with the ZF-9 transmission. I have read tons of articles on this transmission and the results are not good. I have given up and am trading the vehicle in and going with the Eilte.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I gave up after brought it back to the dealer so many times for multiple issues. Honda Customers Service is totally useless. Sometimes I am wondering if they even give thoughts that we spent over 30k for a piece of ****! Not the Honda I have known.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There may be a possible solution to the noise / jerk at 24mph. I have the same problem when driving with ECO mode off. Since turning it on for the past several weeks, I haven't experienced it. ECO mode probably smooths out the acceleration and transmission.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Honda2001, you make perfect sense. The rattle seems to be more pronounced when the engine is under a fairly heavy load. ECON mode reduces the load on the engine on takeoff. Hence, the lower noise. Problem is, on my van it doesn't make a difference. It's there all the time, is extremely annoying, and Honda doesn't give a rat's a** about it.

I hope they lose their shirt in a class action lawsuit over these issues. I'm so sick of their "don't give a damn attitude."

·
Registered
18 Posts
perhaps driving with ECO mode on would help the 24mph jerk, then again what is the point of 280 horsepower if you can't use it because of some jerk ? :huh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use ECO mode only in stop-and-go traffic.

Anecdotally, when driving on highways on long trips, with ECO on, I got about 350 miles range on a full tank of gas (according to the trip computer). With ECO off, I got 400+ miles. I've verified this only several times, so this may not be empirically significant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem and it is very pronounced @ 24 mph and sometimes at 32 mph. Everyone in the car feels it. I also experience something else: I am already moving but have my foot off the gas to decelerate and when I try to accelerate it’s like nothing happens for a split second, then it kicks in and is very pronounced. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts