Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I had my car in at the dealer for engine rattle a couple of weeks ago one of the things they did was update the programming on the transmission. Out of curiosity I tried the 24mph jerk and could no longer reproduce the problem. Maybe see if you service department can update the transmission software?

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have the same issue with the transmission. Get up to 25-35 mph, let off the gas and coast for a ways, then slowly accelerate and you will hear a loud clunk. It sounds like the trans is searching for the right gear then mis-shifting
We took it to our purchasing dealer and they said we have had two vans like this. Van #1 just reloading the software worked and fixed it. They tried that on ours and it worked for a few days, then back to mis-shifting. Back to the dealership, and the service manager said they would have to put a new transmission in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I had my car in at the dealer for engine rattle a couple of weeks ago one of the things they did was update the programming on the transmission. Out of curiosity I tried the 24mph jerk and could no longer reproduce the problem. Maybe see if you service department can update the transmission software?
Has anyone else had luck with their dealership updating software to resolve this issue? We have a new 2019 that is experiencing the exact same symptoms, but I don't really want to take it into the dealership unless there's a reasonable hope that they'll fix it rather than waste my time saying it's working as designed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had exact same problem. does it require a TSB number to upgrade transmission software? so far i haven't seen any TSB to upgrade software on a 2019 Odyssey EX

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had exact same problem. does it require a TSB number to upgrade transmission software? so far i haven't seen any TSB to upgrade software on a 2019 Odyssey EX
The service manager told me they just reload the original software for the transmission. Nothing was updated on the software side on ours. The transmission was eventually replaced after reloading the software didn't fix the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
The service manager told me they just reload the original software for the transmission. Nothing was updated on the software side on ours. The transmission was eventually replaced after reloading the software didn't fix the problem.
@cbfinn_99 You must be white! sorry I am racist here. but I went to dealer with this issue and they told me this is how Honda is. This is normal for Honda. So I assumption is people treat in USA differently based on accent and color???
Apologized for being racist a little.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed a rough shift around that speed as well. I assumed it only happened while cold because I've mostly noticed it just after departing my driveway and approaching my first intersection. I accelerate slowly (fluids are all cold, and I'm in a neighborhood) up to around 20~25 but then I let off the throttle to coast and begin braking just as an up shift occurs.

2019 EX

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
@cbfinn_99 You must be white! sorry I am racist here. but I went to dealer with this issue and they told me this is how Honda is. This is normal for Honda. So I assumption is people treat in USA differently based on accent and color???
Apologized for being racist a little.:rolleyes:
I fixed the quote in your reply. I don't think its a race thing. Not everything is a race thing. There are some good dealers and there are many dealers who are not so good. NJ has a bunch of bad dealers based on posts from people here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does anyone have this issue? I’ve brought it up to the dealership and have been having this issue since we got the 2018 EXL back in Sept 2017. I’ve played around it with it and have finally been able to recreate the same situation with the following conditions. While maintaining a constant acceleration keeping it between 1-2 rpm, right around ~24 mph , the gear shifts loudly and it jolts the van. Which under other circumstances it does not. I’ve been able to replicate it starting the car, or having the car already warmed up and every time if I simulate the same conditions it happens again.

Is is it just me? I did mention it during the last oil change but they were unable to replicate the same result. I have recently been able to tune it precisely to the 1-2 rpm constant acceleration and ~24mph speed .
I wonder if some Lubeguard shudder fix might be the solution (lubrication) for the ZF-9 speed dog gear clunk.
I would NOT use any other additive other than the Lubeguard which has multiple OEM credentials and is has been reported by people here to have had excellent results in the Older Odyssey problem transmissions.

Do your research before using any additives as most all are just snake oil and possibly dangerous, but lubeguard actually seems legitimate.

Maybe even drop ZF (the transmission manufacturer) a line and ask them their opinion regarding whether lubeguard might be an effective and safe solution?

NB 2017 and newer Odyssey owners!
I see that lubeguard on their chart (link - https://www.lubegard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/OEM-ATF-Conversion-Chart.pdf) see page 23

Are only going out as far as the 2017 Odyssey models for some reason?
So, it would be advisable to contact lubeguard, and the ZF transmission manufacturer before adding any lubeguard supplements

21 - 30 of 30 Posts