Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most/many of us, I suppose, have had early transmission replacements under warranty. Ours was done at 40,000 miles. But I wonder: what's the longevity of those replaced transmissions ASSUMING regular fluid changes?

Has anyone seen one go, say, 150,000 miles?

As I read of the maintenance folks have had to do on their high mileage Odysseys, I'm reading in some cases of the tranny being replaced three times! That's just unacceptable....but of course maybe the owners are not changing the fluid regularly.

So, if anyone has any stories about the long life of the new trannies, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
For your 2002, I would suggest an additional ATF cooler and a Magnefine ATF filter with drain and fills of Honda Z-1 ATF every 3rd oil change.

What has worked for me so far after 9 years and 63,000 miles on OEM tranny: drain and fill of Honda Z-1 every 3rd oil change, installing a Magnefine, liberal use of the parking brake (especially on inclines) and lastly, anticipating the transmissions shift points and easing the accelerator at each shift - like a manual - this may have no affect but FWIW I added it.

I intend to get another 9 years out of the van - really. My car is 16 years old.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Dad New Van said:
For your 2002, I would suggest an additional ATF cooler and a Magnefine ATF filter with drain and fills of Honda Z-1 ATF every 3rd oil change.
Yeah, I was surprised to learn that the tranny did not come from the factory with a filter. I guess the plug is magnetic and attracts debris.

Just out of curiosity, when you change out or clean the the Magnefine filter, what's the interval and how much debris do you observe?

I did a flush at the dealer around 70,000 miles or so. Then, at 108,000, I replaced 50% of the fluid using a topside extractor....the only downside of that being that I didn't clean the plug.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
sherwoodsri said:
Just out of curiosity, when you change out or clean the the Magnefine filter, what's the interval and how much debris do you observe?
I installed the Magnefine filter at 70,000 kms (43,400 miles) and will replace at 48,000 km intervals (30,000 miles). Others have changed the filter already and have cut them open and posted pics of the debris...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts