Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last Friday, my other vehicle had a large chunk missing from the sidewall of the tire so I decided to drive my 06 odyssey.
Anyway, all was well until I had to drive some over some passes on interstate 5 near Castaic (CA). The van started making noise (like a clutch trying to engage) and I was losing speed. So I ended up on the side of the road with smoke coming up for at least 30 minutes from the left front bumper area.
Long story short, I had it towed and took it to the mechanic. He looked at it today and just told me NOTHING is wrong with the van.
He and his guys all took turns driving it and checked all fluids and compression on "something".
Any thoughts on what it could be?? He said to pick it up and drive it for a few weeks and get back to him.
He also not to take it on any long drives :) AND he didn't charge me!!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
So last Friday, my other vehicle had a large chunk missing from the sidewall of the tire so I decided to drive my 06 odyssey.
Anyway, all was well until I had to drive some over some passes on interstate 5 near Castaic (CA). The van started making noise (like a clutch trying to engage) and I was losing speed. So I ended up on the side of the road with smoke coming up for at least 30 minutes from the left front bumper area.
Long story short, I had it towed and took it to the mechanic. He looked at it today and just told me NOTHING is wrong with the van.
He and his guys all took turns driving it and checked all fluids and compression on "something".
Any thoughts on what it could be?? He said to pick it up and drive it for a few weeks and get back to him.
He also not to take it on any long drives :) AND he didn't charge me!!!
last line is the best part :)

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
emori, are you talking about the Grapevine? That will put-to-task any transmission, especially the little 5-speeds in the 2002-2006 Odysseys.

They are sensitive to overfilling the ATF. When the ATF gets really hot on a drive like that, the fluid volume in the sump increases due to thermal expansion, and if it's overfilled, the surface of the ATF in the sump will come into contact with moving internal parts, whipping it into a foamy froth (and defeating the anti-foaming agent in the ATF).

At that point, the air-entrained ATF can no longer perform fluidic power transfer, along with some of it purging out of the vent atop the transmission case (left side of the engine bay). If some of that now-foamy vented ATF hits either exhaust manifold, catalytic converter or exhaust pipe, you're going to get a lot of smoke.

Once this happens, with a small quantity of ATF vented, you may now have the ATF at the correct level after everything has cooled off.

This might explain your situation.

OF

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
0dyfamily..you are an asset to this forum....
Sir, I am humbled.

I just remember, some time ago, that one of our forum members (mitch123d, IIRC) had what appears to be the exact same set of circumstances happen to him with his Odyssey. So did a couple others Odyclubbers.

Hot day, asking a lot from the van, then a lot of smoke from foamy vented ATF hitting the exhaust, pulled over, towed van to mechanic, it cooled down .... and ran again, with full functionality restored. Also, the ATF was now at the normal level. It took a bunch of us conversing on those threads to figure out what happened. Thankfully, a few Odyclubbers afflicted with this problem came forward and mentioned that they had overfilled the transmission prior to getting these symptoms.

I think a couple of these same people also recommended that an ATF changeout (drain/refill 4x with new ATF) was a good idea, since the load of ATF presently in the transmission had probably been overheated. Sounds like a good idea to me.

OF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts