Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Writing this up after my 7th visit to the mechanic. 2007 Honda Odyssey went to ATF oil change
Day1- after oil change - found drops of oil on the floor
Day2- Mechanic said its rescue from previous change and cleaned - Fresh oil drops found
Day3-Mechanic said oil pressure switch is leaking - Suggested for a change
Day4- Mechanic oil pressure switch changed - returned home found Fresh oil drops
Day5- Mechanic found crack hear the ATF bolt on top and applied putty.
---Oil stopped dropping--.
But now the transmission case on top sweats transmission oil.
Day6 - Mechanic changed oil gasket and applied extra putty.
-- returned home and still found small spots of oil on the ATF case.
Day7 - Mechanic says it's negligible and asked me to keep driving ...

Please take a look at the pics and I would like your suggestions on how to get this fixed. is there any thing I could apply by myself to stop this leak?
$500 already spent on the above attempts.
Auto part Metal
Auto part Metal

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Yikes! Get a new mechanic pronto. This looks like the oil fill plug on top of the transmission case - the normal place to add transmission fluid. Your mechanic probably did not install a new metal washer gasket when he reinstalled the plug after filling. If the case is cracked, it may be because he over torqued the fill plug. If that is the case, you have a serious transmission issue that may require a new transmission to resolve. But that should be at his cost since he screwed it up. Lawsuit? It was stupid of him to apply putty to try to stop the leak.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! Get a new mechanic pronto. This looks like the oil fill plug on top of the transmission case - the normal place to add transmission fluid. Your mechanic probably did not install a new metal washer gasket when he reinstalled the plug after filling. If the case is cracked, it may be because he over torqued the fill plug. If that is the case, you have a serious transmission issue that may require a new transmission to resolve. But that should be at his cost since he screwed it up. Lawsuit? It was stupid of him to apply putty to try to stop the leak.
Yes @thscott , the damage is done. car runs great but with this, I have a serious issue.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What i would do is get a bunch of brake clean ( degreaser) wash the hell out of transmission top to bottom and monitor where it leaks from. Also this is a perfect case study for why I advocate to refill through the dip stick tube .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What i would do is get a bunch of brake clean ( degreaser) wash the hell out of transmission top to bottom and monitor where it leaks from. Also this is a perfect case study for why I advocate to refill through the dip stick tube .
@09ody20"rims , i second your advocacy after this nightmare. i took an alternative route to try to investigate this issue by pouring some flour , here are the results.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry this is not to be rude .
Patty cake patty cake bakers man make me a mess as fast as you can .
Why would you use flour ? Are you trying to attract all the mice in the neighborhood? Get the hose out and wash that off asap . Buy a couple cans of brake clean and wash the oil mess off properly. Then monitor the leak. .good luck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The only way to fix transmission case cracks is to weld it. JB cold Weld (what your mechanic put on there) is a hit and miss. ATF is thinner than engine oil and can creep far and wide through tiny cracks and degraded o-rings. This should be possible as long as you remove the intake tube and airbox. And the only way to crack the casing around that area is the technician who did the ATF change over-torqued the ATF filler bolt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry this is not to be rude .
Patty cake patty cake bakers man make me a mess as fast as you can .
Why would you use flour ? Are you trying to attract all the mice in the neighborhood? Get the hose out and wash that off asap . Buy a couple cans of brake clean and wash the oil mess off properly. Then monitor the leak. .good luck.
No worries, it has been cleaned and i will clean with brake clean and monitor. Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only way to fix transmission case cracks is to weld it. JB cold Weld (what your mechanic put on there) is a hit and miss. ATF is thinner than engine oil and can creep far and wide through tiny cracks and degraded o-rings. This should be possible as long as you remove the intake tube and airbox. And the only way to crack the casing around that area is the technician who did the ATF change over-torqued the ATF filler bolt.
Yes Sir, your assessment is absolutely correct.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have used 2 part epoxy putty for all kinds of crack repair with great success. The most important parts of the repair is identifying the crack , thorough cleaning, use a abrasive product to etch the area to help proper adhesion/seal and patch beyond the crack. That area of the transmission doesn't have much pressure so if you can identify the crack and use ocd like cleaning skills you should be able to repair. From the photo it looks like your mechanic didn't clean the area very well and the in weld is kind of thrown on there. This type of repair doesn't take high mechanical skills, just patience and thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used 2 part epoxy putty for all kinds of crack repair with great success. The most important parts of the repair is identifying the crack , thorough cleaning, use a abrasive product to etch the area to help proper adhesion/seal and patch beyond the crack. That area of the transmission doesn't have much pressure so if you can identify the crack and use ocd like cleaning skills you should be able to repair. From the photo it looks like your mechanic didn't clean the area very well and the in weld is kind of thrown on there. This type of repair doesn't take high mechanical skills, just patience and thorough cleaning.
Thank you very kindly @Doh, I value your advice and will apply the same procedure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts