Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cursed honda Transmission Bug has bit my '02 honda serviced van and the kind folks at the honda dealership whom "aren't aware there is a problem" with the honda transmissions gave verbals from $4,500 to $6,500.

I even had the honda branded extra transmission cooler installed by the honda dealership in about 2003. I do not believe i've trailered more than a walk-behind rototiller and it's trailer. The 2in receiver is great for my Yakima bike rack.

I've NEVER had to have MAJOR repairs done to my previous vehicles high mileage vehicles. 185K on a '91 sentra, 120K on and Isuzu. An ISUZU and no major problems!

Needless to say, I'm seriously considering other options. It looks like numerous people here also harmed by honda's high rate of transmission failures recommend Jasper and Gator supplied transmissions.

Can anyone provide references for transmission shops/installers in the Central Ohio area? Please provide details if you can.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Any remanufactured transmission from other than Honda will last longer. Jasper looks like a bigger outfit than Gator and builds transmissions for NASCAR in addition to engines. Take a look at their videos and check out their white-glove shop.

Jasper Engines and Transmissions Video

They quoted me $2901 delivered, with a Tru-cool 4490 cooler. They have their own truck and make weekly deliveries from several distribution centers. They give a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty – which beats Honda. You have to call them for your price. A local shop quoted me $900 labor.

I would run, not walk, from your dishonest dealer, who denied knowing about transmission issues, and who will surely charge you the full $6,500 dollars, plus shop supplies.

Honda Odyssey Owners Report Transmission Troubles, Inconsistent Response from Maker - Auto Observer

Your biggest issue is finding an honest and competent installer. In spite of the statement on their site about technical training classes, the Jasper phone rep told me that Jasper’s listed installers are just shops who have purchased from them before – no special school, training or qualification by Jasper. So, just check the web, family and friends, Better Business Bureau, Yelp, visit the installer and try to find a satisfied customer, et cetera. Good luck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My independent mechanic in upstate SC uses a non-Honda rebuilder and is having great results. Price is $3200 installed. (Dealership is $3800 isntalled.)

My Ody went 99k on the first tranny (replaced free under extended warrantly) and now has 75k on tranny #2. My fingers are crossed as I'd like to put another 100k on this vehicle and will pony up for the independent price if neeeded.

Hope you find a good solution there in Ohio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts