Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im a shop owner in Winchester, Ontario, Canada. I have had a couple 2001 Odysseys come in for transmissions which I read is normal. Seems like its an oil lube and transmission type services. Anyway, I try hard to make the best repairs available or at least offer the best repairs. Is there a real fix for these? What is the actual failure, valves, solenoids, computers? I would like to just get these rebuilt but is the problem curable with performance parts, or quality aftermarket parts? (clutches, bands, valves, etc)
Thank you very much
Troy

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
From what I can see this has yet to be determined. Heat seems to be the issue which leads to clutch breakdown and debris getting into the system. There also seems to be an issue with oil not flowing into the TC during idle type RPM's which burns it out. There's a recent post on that and a part made by Sonnax which is supposed to alleviate the over heated TC. You can search Sonnax to find the thread. I applaud you for searching this out to help your customer base. :cheers:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Transmission cooler of some sort and get an removable filter like this

Amazon.com: B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit: Automotive

Tell them to do 3 quart drain and fill on the fluid once a year and replace the filter with Fram PH8 at the same tiem. If you want to do it right, do the above and use Amsoil universal ATF instead of the Honda fluids. You'll get double the temperature range for the transmission fluid to protect it a little more.

Also double check and make sure that they don't still have the Honda in-line filter in there. More often than not this filter gets clogged without the dealer ever changing it because its not a typically serviced part. I think the Honda inline filters started around 2004.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I replaced clutch pack to repair tranny slipping near 25 mph at 75k mile from local shop. It ran ok so far. To avoid further repair I added 6 loop cooler and b&m remote tranny oil filter . What else I can do? Fluid seems to be clean and do not see any speckles with kids microscope.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I replaced clutch pack to repair tranny slipping near 25 mph at 75k mile from local shop. It ran ok so far. To avoid further repair I added 6 loop cooler and b&m remote tranny oil filter . What else I can do? Fluid seems to be clean and do not see any speckles with kids microscope.
change the filter with every oil change if you are using Honda fluids. If using amsoil signature series oilsand filters, The same applies because then you are changing the oil at one year or 25k whichever comes first.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Bought 2001LX new. Have 122.222 miles. now. 3rd Transmission. Did all fluid changes, etc...
From what I read, all the posts, etc. Seems the transmission is just designed poorly. Honda must know. They are just keeping quiet.
Rebuilds have 36K warranty. But really useless, because rebuilt transmissions last on average 40-65 thousand miles.

I even did the multilple fluid changes. Thanks for trying to help your customers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another 2 cents FWIW. I'm on my 3rd transmission as well. 2000 EX w/245,000.

1. Bought used at 60K, Honda replaced trans at 68K (unknown maint by previous owner).

2. 2nd trans lasted from 68K to 117K with a single drain/fill (3 qts of Honda Z1) done every 15K. Fluid looked clean every time, but maybe a little thin. Honda replaced again at 117K.

3. 3rd trans still going strong at 245K. I got maniacal on the fluid changes starting at 117K and added a Magnefine filter. Did a single drain/fill with Honda Z1 (now DW1) every 5K miles (whenever I changed the engine oil) and replace the Magnefine filter every 25-30K. Fluid looks brand new when I change it, but oh well.

So will it last into perpetuity with this routine, I don't know, but it seems to be working. No slipping, just the normal quirkiness that these transmissions have from day one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately my permanent fix for the transmission problem involved selling my 2001 EX. It had (only) 181 000 miles on it. Transmission #2 died. Everything else worked fine. Hoping my '12 EX will not suffer the same transmission issues.

·
Registered
447 Posts
They really should add to the "Maintainence Schedule B: Replace transmission at 60K miles"

Seriously I think most people who's origional transmission lasted more than 100K, have ALOT of highway miles (like mine) and had regular ATF changes at least every 30K miles.
Maybe a cooler, add-on filter, or synth ATF helps, but the jury's still out on those and nobody is doing a survey to see if they make any difference. My bet is a cooler helps the most.

Back to the OP's question: Gator transmissions in Illinois seems to have addressed the problems
with their rebuilds. Maybe get some Gators for your customers. They require coolers, so that
is some evidence that they work.

·
Registered
752 Posts
They really should add to the "Maintainence Schedule B: Replace transmission at 60K miles"

Seriously I think most people who's origional transmission lasted more than 100K, have ALOT of highway miles (like mine) and had regular ATF changes at least every 30K miles.
Maybe a cooler, add-on filter, or synth ATF helps, but the jury's still out on those and nobody is doing a survey to see if they make any difference. My bet is a cooler helps the most.

Back to the OP's question: Gator transmissions in Illinois seems to have addressed the problems
with their rebuilds. Maybe get some Gators for your customers. They require coolers, so that
is some evidence that they work.
Could not agree with you more. I noticed this important observation also. Vans that had transmissions go over 100K, had a lot of HIGHWAY (FREEWAY) miles on them. One could figure this out my the Van year and mileage.

I think the problem, on early Odyssey transmission, is the "constant shifting". High mileage vans avoid the shifting.
1st to 2nd to 3rd and back. They stay in 4th and just cruise.

Again, If you read my previous post. My van. bought new, 2001LX, 3rd transmission. Did routine Trans. fluid change.
Also, tried 3X fluid change. I figure, save your money and time. Transmission is poorly designed. Torque Converter goes out. Honda knows. Be nice if a Honda Mechanic spills the beans....but jobs are scarce now...so best to lay low...

Again, just my 2 cents......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my 2 cents.
I bought a 2000 with 107k miles, at 120k I had fluid changed, then I started getting hard shifts, did the trans service again with no change, cleaned the solenoids which did help for a time. I've just driven it waiting for total failure, even used it to tow a lot of stuff. At 161,000 miles now I'm looking to rebuild it myself in the near future so I can drive my family across country with total peace of mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts