Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am almost 3 weeks of ownership of a 2011 Odyssey EX. I have noticed that when I get out from P(park) to either reverse or drive I would hear a loud thud (knock?) coming from the transmission. I already talked to a (HONDA) mechanic and told me that its normal...

2nd that I noticed is that the tweeter sound damaged. I set it though to a max 6 level.. The source is an ipod ripped on apple lossles codec-- which I've been using on a different car with no problem at all.

3rd is the exhaust-- it looks like its been welded (last foot at the end)..

Are we all the same?

thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
1 I can't be sure, but that noise seems to be normal. Mine makes a bit of a clunk as well. It is merely the transmission engaging first gear and disengaging the park assembly.
2 My tweeters sound fine.
3 The exhaust pipe is welded...but it's a strong weld and it's not visibly noticeable on my Touring Elite.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The old 5-speed always thunked, totally normal, no big deal, big engine engaging a big ol van. On the transy side, Honda has bigger fish to fry than the deep sea Thunk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had my touring(Canadian) 2011 for a week and I did notice a knock when I get out off park.
Previously, it was the same thing whit my 2007 EX and at the dealer they said it was normal!?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Every Honda auto transmission I've owned (going way back to a 92 Prelude) has made a click/clunk noise when shifting into gear. Our 6-speed van does it too. So I think it's pretty normal...

·
Registered
86 Posts
On a FLAT surface, you should not hear or feel too much of a thump. However, if you park on a slight incline or decline, you should apply your brakes, shift to park, and engage the parking/Emergency brakes BEFORE releasing the brakes. Then when you get back to your car, start it and shift to drive or reverse BEFORE disengaging the parking brakes. This ensures you minimize the thump. I only get the loud/disturbing thump sound if I park on an incline/decline and forget to use E Brakes.

·
Registered
739 Posts
On a FLAT surface, you should not hear or feel too much of a thump. However, if you park on a slight incline or decline, you should apply your brakes, shift to park, and engage the parking/Emergency brakes BEFORE releasing the brakes. Then when you get back to your car, start it and shift to drive or reverse BEFORE disengaging the parking brakes. This ensures you minimize the thump. I only get the loud/disturbing thump sound if I park on an incline/decline and forget to use E Brakes.
This is the beginning of a great Brian Regan joke...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hear the "scratching" clunk when I go from reverse to drive. Heard it on my 2009 Odyssey also, so it appears to be normal transmission enagagement.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Tranny is normal. Ours does it everyday. It sounds like a 6 speed 350z's tranny haha

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the beginning of a great Brian Regan joke...

Hehe.. Anyways, thanks a lot guys. The "sound" seems normal, think i'm fine with that. Just did a 7 hr drive and i'm avaraging 28.9----wow!!!! But there was a time when the road was straight & flat, i see the mpg meter on nearly 40's... Family loves the van!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts