Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this here as it may be a 2002 only problem.

A week ago while climbing a fairly steep hill, the TCS light came on as well as the engine check light.

Dealer worked on van for 4 days and yesterday insisted that we have the aftermarket mirror (dealer installed) and the cell phone disconnected. We have been told that the transmission is very sensitive to aftermarket accessories.

We now have a new van (2200 kms) without a cell phone or compass/ temperature mirror.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
So, they gave you a new van? Please clarify.

The 'sensitivity to aftermarket accessories' sounds like total BS to me. A cellphone and a mirror should make no difference whatsoever. I'm sure Honda publishes the maximum amperage that can be drawn from the power outlets in the vehicle. If you are drawing less power than that, then there is a defect in the vehicle and it should be resolved by the dealer/manufacturer.

I can't see how the transmission can somehow draw more electrical power when going uphill - in fact quite the reverse - as the engine is revving higher the alternator should be charging the battery more quickly.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the confusion.....same van. Just irritated that we are not able to use the mirror and phone at this time.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Did removal of those items clear up the problem?

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far.

However the van ran well for two weeks with the aftermarket mirror attached and for a few days with the phone attached.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Could be true - I had a Sony amp professionally installed in my 99 Accord - low gauge power wire with in line fuses direct to battery, and massive separate ground to vehicle chassis.

The Accord started acting up - it would not start, then it would crank really slow until it sounded like the battery was dead, then two minutes alter you turn the key and it fires to life like new. This went on for a month, 75% of the time it would start, 25% it wouldn't.

Turned out to be the amplifier - I was skeptical but I removed it and I never had a problem again.

So the tranny line sounds plausible, but still very disappointing

------------------
-Peter-
2002 Odyssey EX-L
Red Rock Pearl (Familicus Perfectus)
2001 Sentra SE w/PP (Rocketus Fastus)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seems similar to my problem that I just posted -- 3 days old major breaddown.
But I dont have any accessories.. barebone from the factor ex-l.. not even mudquards.

So it can't be the same problem I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts