Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my Beautiful Odyssey let me down :(
I have a 2006 Odyssey EXL with about 169k on it.
Yesterday while my wife was driving when she took off the van would not get going over 2-30 mph then it wouldn't shift into gear at all.
I came to the rescue and took some back roads homes experiencing the exact same issue. Feels like it maybe made it into 2nd gear but wont shift higher, RPMs just go up with no movement. At one point when taking off it would not shift into gear at all, i turned teh van off and back on then t wold shift.
Makes me lean towards some kind of electrical problem. Maybe a sensor or solenoid??
There is no leaks what so ever and trans fluid is at a good level. It doesn't smell burnt either.
I plugged in a Modis and there are no codes being thrown.

Any help or guidance of what to check wold be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would try to pull a pending code first, and go from there. Followed by a transmission fluid change, before you move on to pressure switch replacements.

What was the last time you changed the transmission fluid?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no Pending codes . . . that was my hope, Ive had the van for about 30K miles. I have never done a fluid change. I was concerned because i dont know if it has ever been done.

·
Registered
2006 Odyssey
64 Posts
Well not to be too pessimistic but it does sound almost the same as my transmission problems before I had it rebuilt. (Also a 2006 with 130k at that time) Can you manually shift it when it "gets stuck" and won't move?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You need to be doign transmission fluid drain and refills on a regular basis, as part of normal maintenance.

·
Registered
13,361 Posts
You may not get all transmission codes from a generic OBDII code reader. You need to connect a tool that can read transmission codes. Do you have any lights on the dash? Check engine light or flashing "D" light?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A number of the solenoid valves have screens in the lines going to them that can get plugged up if there is a lot of debris in the fluid. Maybe check that? When you say the rpms go up with no movement, do you mean the rpms go up and the van won't shift to third, or the rpms go up and nothing seems to happen (i.e., the transmission is slipping)? if it's the latter, that clutch pack could be fried. Have you tried changing the transmission fluid to see if there is a ton of fluff on the magnet or other clutch debris in the fluid? I believe a bad solenoid valve should throw a code, but plugged lines would not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts