Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We're thinking of replacing our 2004 Odyssey sometime soon, and I'm curious what the general consensus is on the transmission issues in more recent models. I've seen threads that talked about the 3rd gen getting an upgrade (to the Ridgeline tranny) in 2007, though I haven't seen anything definitive about transmission performance.

Beyond the above, I'm particularly interested in learning more about the 4th gen (2011+) transmission. I realize that it's probably too early to tell in terms of real world performance, but is there any info out to suggest that the transmissions are no longer a problem?

Thanks, somedumbguy

·
Banned
728 Posts
Our 5 speed has been fine, although on a couple of occasions while slowing down to about 40 km/h and then deciding to speed up, there is a "thud" or a "shudder". It seems to be related to the torque converter unlocking, or an odd gear change. It has only happened a couple of times since new and the transmission has otherwise been flawless.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi all,

We're thinking of replacing our 2004 Odyssey sometime soon, and I'm curious what the general consensus is on the transmission issues in more recent models. I've seen threads that talked about the 3rd gen getting an upgrade (to the Ridgeline tranny) in 2007, though I haven't seen anything definitive about transmission performance.

Beyond the above, I'm particularly interested in learning more about the 4th gen (2011+) transmission. I realize that it's probably too early to tell in terms of real world performance, but is there any info out to suggest that the transmissions are no longer a problem?

Thanks, somedumbguy
The 6spd has been fine in our Touring (2011). We were one of the lucky ones, our 2003 never had a tranny problem in the 7+ yrs and 100k miles we owned it for.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Ody's starting with 2011 are filled with Honda's new synthetic ATF. This alone will contribute to the longevity of the transmission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts