Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2000 honda odyssey with 260k on the odometer. I knew the radiator was leaking and replaced this. aft the replacement the car drove well for 2 weeks and than started developing transmission problems.

it will not shift into gear, only occasionally, and the D4 light was flashing. I have tested the linear solenoid, shift solenoids and cleaned the filters. The oil is brand new and after draining it I did not find any particles in the oil, so the gears appear to be fine.
I also took out the lines to the cooler and cleaned the temperature switch with filter, no issues there.

only solenoid i have not touched is the control shift solenoid A - most difficult to reach.

I would like to find out were i need to look before dismantling the cooling hoses and starting to invest a lot of time for a possible simple answer?
If any of you can point me in the right direction that would be great.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Do you mean it won't shift from P to D? Or, when on D will not move when stepping on the gas and the engine just revs up? If the former, maybe its the neutral safety switch that's defective or needs adjustment. You usually get a code and the lights of the P, R, ,D, D3, D2, D1 does not light up when shifting to any of the gear positions. If the latter, and you are getting the flashing D light when in gear, then you will eventually get a CEL for the tranny. Most of the time all the solenoids are working fine and its just the transmission that's messed up. Either the torque converter is worn out or some other part-friction materials. Good luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If it won't shift from P to any other gear then like nitely2 said it could be your neutral safety switch or the linkage may need adjusting. If it will go into drive but not move/shift then I would check for codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will not move, so it moves into D4 but the motor only revs up and the car won’t move at all. I read the codes and P0730 - cleared the code and it did not come back?

·
Registered
953 Posts
P07030 means the computer is sensing a difference between the input and output RPM of the transmission which really means incorrect gear engaged, slippage or in extreme cases like yours no engagement of the gears. You have already tested the solenoids, and cleaned the screens so you would have check the clutch pressures for each gear to finishing diagnosing the issue. It's possible that you have internal transmission damage as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No. As mentioned above, P0730 is a transmission code. You will eventually in the very near future need a new tranny. Used or remanufactured or rebuilt.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Several people on here have rebuilt their own transmission. You can do a search on here or on google. I believe there are even a couple of videos on youtube. I think most just get a remand one or one from Japan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
mwe2121
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing