Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a low-mileage 2001 Odyssey. I've read a zillion transmission threads, but haven't seen this question asked: Are there any parts and pieces of the transmission that might benefit from the installation of the oil jet in the same fashion as the early 5-speed transmission? Might a continuous shower of clean fluid be of value for controlling temperatures if not outright gear or bearing lubrication?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
They are 2 different transmissions and I doubt the oil jet would benefit the 4-speeds (i.e 1999-2001s).

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I agree with New Dad, the older ones didn't have a gear overheat problem like the 5 speeds. The problem with the old ones is usually torque converter or clutch material wearing off. Some say because of overheating fluid but no one seems to know for sure.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Agree with others above that the jet kit won't help the 4-speeds. Best way to keep the transmission cool is to install a cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know the transmissions aren't the same and the 2001 gearbox doesn't have the gear directly below the fill plug opening; my question was asked with the intent of determining the value of a continuous spray of oil on whatever parts do exist. My hopes weren't particularly high:) Someday when it's warmer (outdoor temps are hanging around 10-15F at the moment) I'll remove the plug and try to determine what lies below.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts