Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing the vast amount of transmission failures :mad: , I was wondering if any members could suggest reliable re-builders/suppliers? I have seen Jasper and Gator here at times, any others? Jasper looks promising as they deal nation wide to local repair shops. Their warranty is good too? Also any with financing options?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I can't tell you who is good but I can say that based on the experiences of myself and several friends (on a variety of cars, none of which was an Ody), avoid Aamco. They were awful for all of us - ran above expected cost by a significant amount, workmanship didn't hold up, promised return time was way understated (they told me 3 days for a clutch job that ended up taking nearly 2 1/2 weeks), over-the-phone promise of a loaner car went unfulfilled, etc. I honestly didn't have a single upside to the job they did for me (or is that the job they did on me?). I'd avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I well agree with the AAMCO coments. I have questioned them about my old Dodge Caravan when the trans went south and they tried to either dazzle me with brilliance or baffle me with :bs:
I talked to a Jasper preferred installer and they have had very little problems with any of the Jasper products and they back up their 36month 100,000 miles warranty.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
BIL got his 2001 fixed with a Jasper a couple of weeks back. He paid 3400 installed (Cash only). They gave him a break for paying with cash but I don't have the exact details. He is in FL. The indy knew all about Jasper and recommended it before BIL talked to me. Jasper ships the tranny on a crate and the indy ships 'em the core back on the crate. Sounded simple enough to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Synchrotech??

Hi, I saw Synchrotech is Honda only and have very reasonable core charges. Looks like 1700 shipped and includes cooler/line filter.

I would install my own thus saving the labor costs... but my question is whether anyone here has used them. I didn't get a hit in the search.

The genuine American Honda rebuilds are awesome... but you can only get them under warranty so I'm told. Thus we're thrown to the wolves.

Thanks,
rich

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I finally got the tranny. Built by a company in L.A. area that specializes in Honda/Acura ONLY. 36 month/100,000 mile warranty. Local transmission company ordered it and installed for a little under $3,500 (with an inline filter). Had to finance it. They have a company called Drive on credit. Intrest is kinda high, but had to get it done, will have it paid of in 6-7 months. Credit Co. has a starter kill switch if I miss a payment. :mad: Oh well.......
BTW I went to the local Jasper preferred installer and after calling him twice and going in person to talk to him, he never got back to me with a price or to set up an appt. or anything. Guess he is sooooooo busy with all the other cars and trucks in his lot he had no time for me!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RW..."The genuine American Honda rebuilds are awesome... but you can only get them under warranty so I'm told. Thus we're thrown to the wolves."
SORRY, my Genuine Honda factory rebuilt tranny lasted 65,000 miles! NOT impressed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ended up using WTR Transmissions in Buford, GA. He has been a Honda (mostly Ody) exclusive for many years and offered a 3yr warranty. Puts trans coolers on every Odyssey he does a repair on!

rich

·
Registered
145 Posts
rwheadon, good to know I am not far from there.. for future reference. I see they are in Flowery Branch/Buford area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
rwheadon, good to know I am not far from there.. for future reference. I see they are in Flowery Branch/Buford area.
David Watson, the owner is a straight shooter. He only does transmissions.

He recently bought a G3 Ody for his family!! His purchase of the G3 Ody told me Honda was far closer to getting it right on a transmission standpoint.

rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts