Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ody with the notorious transmission issue. I can get a "remanufactured" for $3300 with a 5 year warranty (total, installed, etc). Or a "rebuilt" one for $2200 with a 2 year warranty. I know the 5 year will offer more peace of mind. But my question is WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE two? Will the "rebuilt" one have possible issues later because it's just rebuilt whereas the "remanufactured" one is newer and I'm assuming better??? I know there's no crystal balls here but anyone have experience? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
IIRC they are unregulated terms. They SHOULD mean this:

rebuilt: A transmission shop tears down what they get in, replaces bad parts, check tolerances, machines as necessary and re-assembles.

remanufactured: A centralized facility with specialized staff that work repeatedly on the SAME item (in your case Honda transmissions) to (hopefully) gain more expertise in that particular unit than a more general retail shop tech would have.

In practice I suspect the difference is similar to that between a Used Car and a Pre-Owned Car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts