Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Transmission rumble/diesel

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jjw91006 
#1 ·
On my 2001 EX, I have observed since new a problem whereby at 1500RPM, right about when the tranny is ready to shift, there is an low rumble or "diesel" sound (the kind of sound a diesel engine makes).

After finally getting around to taking it into Honda, the server rep. would like to replace the transmission, on warrantly of course.

I did a search of the boards and noticed references to a bad PCM and references to this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem, and has replacement of the transmission corrected it?

#3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z32:
Hey gfawkes, sorry to hear about your ody. But hey, at least the dealer warranties it! Can you explain a little more about that sound? where does it come from? engine bay? inside the transmission? </font>
It's definitely coming from the transmission. It always occurs at 50mph at ~1200rpm, then the shift occurs up and the noise is gone.

#5 ·
My 2001 Odyssey LX exhibits the "dieseling" sound.

My dealer told me it was the torque converter, that Honda was aware of this "problem," but there was no cause to worry at this time. If there were any further developments (a fix), I would be notified since I my report of the problem was already in "THE SYSTEM." :)

We'll see....

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium

#6 ·
Honda has a replacement transmission for me on order from eastern Canada factory and is going to swap out the old transmission.

I discussed with Honda service, they believe it's the gear housing only; they are not planning on replacing the bell + torque converter.

I'll post the exact details of what they do and if it fixes noise after I take it in (late Nov).

Regards, Geoff.

#7 ·
I was reading a thread on the Yahoo Honda Odyssey Owners Club (I got the link from this forum) about this and unearthed the following message:

"By: tcon4
Date: 8/17/01 6:17 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back! We just had a Baby...the whole reason we bought the van in the first place. I had the grinding noise fixed with a new ECM (Electronic Control Module - ???). I'll pull my invoice and try to get you all a part number. The 1-800 service rep said my van was one of the 1st to receive this fix and I have had several calls from the TECH-LINE wanting updates.
So far so good(Knock on Wood) no more grinding noise. I'll write back soon with a part # "

Apparently, a fix for the diesling noise from the transmission/torque converter was a PCM change. Is this the "big" computer for the whole car, or just the transmission computer?

Anyone else heard of this fix?
I'd be curious to know if Honda has explained what the problem was (since they ahve a "fix" for it. Did the converter lock up to early? Did the PCM change make it lock up later? Does this effect MPG??

I replied with the same questions to the YahooClub. I'll try to remember to post any relevant info here, as well.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver

#8 ·
Here are a couple of posts on this topic that I unearthed from www.edmunds.com.

Unfortunately, I think this may confuse matters, unless an odyexpert chimes in.
As mentioned above, I was told it was a torque converter problem. However, some others seem to have been told it was a shift cable problem!!!

I was up all night searching for these!! :)

#961 of 1409  re:Tranny Problem by hildebb United States of America  Jun 29, 2001 (09:22 am) Mark

Mark, I have the same problem with my 2001 EX and this is what the dealer told me. The noise is a vibration of the cable that is connected to the column lever for changing gears. I went for a test drive with my service re and he had me grab the cable and pull slightly towards me (of course we were driving at 50mph) and the noise would go away. This cable is located approximately above the accelerater and is very stiff and thick. He said this is not causing any problems, but until Honda has a fix and recall they cannot do anything.
Bruce
---------------------------------
#970 of 1409  cmt4- tranny noise by caviller United States of America  Jul 03, 2001 (10:30 am) Mark

This sounds like the well-documented "shift-cable" noise. Usually worst right around 1500 rpm in overdrive with light pressure on the gas. I don't think this is universal like the gas tank noise. Our van has a slight case. So slight no one else has noticed, and only a few hear it even when I mention it specifically. For that reason, I haven't bothered to complain, since the dealer would no doubt be unable to reproduce it.

Anyway, there is a fix which involves adding weights...
--------------------------------------

Caviller......aren't you in this forum? :)

This is the only thing that worries me on our Odyssey, but it's a biggie.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver

#9 ·
I went to the dealer today to get my 01 LX serviced. I mentioned this problem with my tranny, and he said it is not a problem at all, just the way Honda has designed transmissions since 1982. Blah, Blah, Blah, I didn't get the rest. I told him that others have had the problem and had a module replaced and he said it's unnecessary, since it is not a tranny problem in the first place. Has anyone heard this before?

#10 ·
I am waiting for a new ECU or ECM (Electronic Control Unit/Module) in the last three months for the same problem. Different dealer responds differently. Ask the dealer to contact Honda Tech Line to receive more information. I saw one thread mentioning that this could become a severe problem later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.