Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a good thing but I have to ask. My wife who is the primary driver of our new Odyssey thinks it is too easy to shift in to the lower gears. Meaning, when she shifts out of park, she has a tough time stopping at “D” and it moves too freely to the lower gears. Our previous van and cars would have a definite detent for the “D” position, which made it a little more forgiving. I’m sure we will get used to it over time but I thought I would ask if this sounds like the normal out there. Again, this may be an indication that it is a finely tuned mechanical device and a good thing. I appreciate your comments on this.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
After 3 months, I still infrequently slide the shifter past the D and end up in a gear lower than intended

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
129 Posts
When she pulls the shift lever towards her to get it out of park, does she release it right away while still pulling downward?

I *THINK* that if you continue to keep the lever pulled towards you, it will not go beyond D4. In order to go to a lower gear, the lever must not be pulled back towards the driver, just downward.

I wonder if I'm making my self clear?

Anyway, I think that's how it works. I don't have the Ody near me right now
as my wife is the primary driver so I can't test it out for you.

Let us know if that works!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX
2001 Civic EX Sedan
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoFlaOdyssey:
When she pulls the shift lever towards her to get it out of park, does she release it right away while still pulling downward?

I *THINK* that if you continue to keep the lever pulled towards you, it will not go beyond D4. In order to go to a lower gear, the lever must not be pulled back towards the driver, just downward.

I wonder if I'm making my self clear?

Anyway, I think that's how it works. I don't have the Ody near me right now
as my wife is the primary driver so I can't test it out for you.

Let us know if that works!

</font>
I'm not really following you here. To me it is one motion. You pull the shifter towards you and at the same time apply downward pressure. It seems that it takes very little pressure to go beyond the entended "D" position. Thus it slips in to a lower gear too easily. She is just used to a more positive stop at the "D" position. It seems to me this may be a normal thing in the Odyssey. Any others out there have this same situation?

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Certek:
I'm not really following you here. To me it is one motion. You pull the shifter towards you and at the same time apply downward pressure. It seems that it takes very little pressure to go beyond the entended "D" position. Thus it slips in to a lower gear too easily. She is just used to a more positive stop at the "D" position. It seems to me this may be a normal thing in the Odyssey. Any others out there have this same situation?

</font>
To shift from P to D4 and vice versa, you need to/should pull back on the lever toward yourself. If you kept the lever pulled toward yourself (horizontal movement), you will NOT be able to shift into D3. In other words, the shift from D4 to D3 and vice versa is done with only vertical movements. It is for this reason, that I have never ever shifted into D3 by accident.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Certek:
This might be a good thing but I have to ask. My wife who is the primary driver of our new Odyssey thinks it is too easy to shift in to the lower gears. Meaning, when she shifts out of park, she has a tough time stopping at “D” and it moves too freely to the lower gears. Our previous van and cars would have a definite detent for the “D” position, which made it a little more forgiving. I’m sure we will get used to it over time but I thought I would ask if this sounds like the normal out there. Again, this may be an indication that it is a finely tuned mechanical device and a good thing. I appreciate your comments on this. </font>
I've done the same thing with my ODY. Sometimes I'll have to go back up into Drive. I don't think it's a bad thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DTKWOK:
To shift from P to D4 and vice versa, you need to/should pull back on the lever toward yourself. If you kept the lever pulled toward yourself (horizontal movement), you will NOT be able to shift into D3. In other words, the shift from D4 to D3 and vice versa is done with only vertical movements. It is for this reason, that I have never ever shifted into D3 by accident. </font>
This does the trick. I went home last night and tried shifting and kept the shift lever pulled towards me and it dropped right in to "D" and would not go any lower. As you said, If you kept the lever pulled toward yourself (horizontal movement), you will NOT be able to shift into D3. Thanks for the help on this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant to say!

Thanks, DTKWOK!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX
2001 Civic EX Sedan
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
188 Posts
Certek and SoFlaOdyssey,

You're welcome!
Now, if only they came out with a standard/manual, like they have for the Kia Sedona in Europe... (drool).

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
After 3 months, I still infrequently slide the shifter past the D and end up in a gear lower than intended

Regards,

Maugham
</font>
I still do it occasionally after two years! The motion is just not intuitive and requires too much thought. The mere fact that we are having this much dialogue on the topic should indicate that the shifter needs improvement!

------------------
00 Ody EX (18K)
90 Sable wagon (170K)
89 Cougar (205K!)
67 Sunbeam Alpine (??K)
52 Ford Flathead V8(72K)

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have to consciously make sure that the shifter doesn't go past D4. Consumer Reports also makes note of this in their reviews of the 1999 and 2001 Ody. I'm used to it now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
At least she is pulling the shifter and not the window washer!!! I don't drive our van very often, but when I do the windows usually get washed!!!!

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
73 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeB:
Originally posted by Maugham:

Regards,

Maugham
</font>
I still do it occasionally after two years! The motion is just not intuitive and requires too much thought. The mere fact that we are having this much dialogue on the topic should indicate that the shifter needs improvement!

I agree with all this. I have been annoyed by this easy drop down into D3 also. I don't believe that keeping the lever pulled towards the driver is an acceptable option. Let me explain...

When shifting from P to D, I agree that one has to pull the shift lever towards the driver to release from P; it is easy to hold it there on the way to D. However, more than half of the times I am not shifting from P to D, but from R to D. I'm usually backing up first. To release from R, one does not have to pull the shift lever. If I put my hand on the shift lever and push down, it is easy to go straight into D3. This is a design limitation. It should not be so easy to go into D3 from R.

Bryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts