Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 312,000 Miles I deer jumped on it and broke the radiator so I got To replace it and the trans fluid Should I do a complete trans fluid Drain-Flush I have heard some people say its not reccomended. I have put 2,300 miles since I bought it hasnt had any problems but it looks like the trans fluid had not been changed in a long time , guy i bought it from said the trans was rebuilt at 150k so I guess it hasnt been changed since.
So should I completly flush the Trans Fluid??

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This recent answer here by Buffalo4 answers the question very well: Same trans fluid for 20 years!?!
You don't want to 'flush' a Honda transmission. Only drain-and-fills. After 3 or 4 drain and fills you've replaced most of the old fluid.

Reactions: Littlecars and Lui

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
662 Posts
+1 to Kernel's advice. Do a series of drains and fills.

However, since the fluid hasn't been changed in 150K, and given the sensitivity of the transmission on the 03 Odyssey, I'd be cautious with "shocking" the system with new fluid. You might have a lot of deposits inside the transmission and while you want that stuff cleaned up, you don't want it to all fall into the circulation of the transmission fluid at once. So, I'd probably do 1x drain/fill, drive 2-3K miles and do another, etc, with a few thousand miles of driving in between.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 to Kernel's advice. Do a series of drains and fills.

However, since the fluid hasn't been changed in 150K, and given the sensitivity of the transmission on the 03 Odyssey, I'd be cautious with "shocking" the system with new fluid. You might have a lot of deposits inside the transmission and while you want that stuff cleaned up, you don't want it to all fall into the circulation of the transmission fluid at once. So, I'd probably do 1x drain/fill, drive 2-3K miles and do another, etc, with a few thousand miles of driving in between.
Yes Im probably going to do that Drain and fill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this 2003 honda odyssey for like 500 dollars and it runs good despite the fact it has a little over 312,000 Miles .
It also looks like the coolant was never changed and I know they where using the wrong engine oil on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is their any specific Trans oil or coolant brand you would recomend?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
662 Posts
Is their any specific Trans oil or coolant brand you would recomend?
I use Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF on mine. Typically recommended here is either that or OEM fluid, but the Valvoline is cheaper. I'd go with that.

Coolant... doesn't matter as much. You should technically be using a Honda-compatible coolant, such as Pentofrost A3, or Zerex Asian, if you choose not to go with OEM coolant. By the way, Pentofrost A3 is pretty much the same thing as OEM, I think Zerex Asian is a little different. However, the regular green Prestone coolant will be fine if you really want to save a few bucks on a 312K mile van. The Prestone supposedly needs changing more frequently, but I don't think it will matter in your case.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
About coolant, I recommend OEM.

The factory fill is good for 10 years, so it's good stuff.

Also, it's naturally compatible for intermixing with the old coolant. That's important because the old coolant cannot be fully drained from the rear heater. Complete intermixing, not just coexisting, is needed so that the additives in the new coolant can replenish the old.

Even so, the coolant must be changed every 5 years after that. That's an indication of how the new coolant is almost immediately depleted by refreshing the remaining old.

Reactions: skelsall and Lui

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car got wet and the air condensor was off Should i worry about it??

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ok 09ody20"rims, why are you spamming this thread with your off-topic videos? How is this helping Lui with his AC condenser question?
Lui- do you know how to work on the air conditioning system? Yes, moisture inside the system is bad. That's why there's desiccant in the system to absorb moisture. I don't work on the AC on my Ody, I'm not sure I'd want my retired father (worked on HVAC systems) working on these newer systems.
And I think this question is better handled in the new thread that Lui opened: 2003 Honda odyssey ??

Reactions: skelsall and Lui

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well according to @Lui he has no problems. Look for yourself buddy.

So i figured he needed a pick me up what better to make someone smile than my ody pics . 😎😎 also I would say his question is the same as me saying my car gets wet when I wash it .

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
640 Posts
Ok 09ody20"rims, why are you spamming this thread with your off-topic videos? How is this helping Lui with his AC condenser question?
Lui- do you know how to work on the air conditioning system? Yes, moisture inside the system is bad. That's why there's desiccant in the system to absorb moisture. I don't work on the AC on my Ody, I'm not sure I'd want my retired father (worked on HVAC systems) working on these newer systems.
And I think this question is better handled in the new thread that Lui opened: 2003 Honda odyssey ??
This isn't the only thread either. 🙄

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well according to @Lui he has no problems. Look for yourself buddy.

View attachment 157874
So i figured he needed a pick me up what better to make someone smile than my ody pics . 😎😎 also I would say his question is the same as me saying my car gets wet when I wash it .
My air condensor was off when it got wet not the same as washing with it on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Considring Im not gonna be using the ac Because my Ac compressor isnt working it shouldnt affect anything else right?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If your compressor is shot and you're not planning on fixing it, then no need to worry. The AC condenser is only for the AC. Only affects cooling and defrost. (when switching to Defrost, the AC comes on to remove humidity from the air)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts