Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at 63.5 k on the clock, I had this service performed, and I cannot overstate how much of an improvement was made in the power delivery even after maintaining my own 15k mile D&F schedule w/Amsoil Sig. Series. The uneven acceleration and weird surging on shifts are both gone. I was told this condition is warrantied for 8 years or 80k miles, so if you haven't had it performed, I strongly suggest doing so.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
2016 ex-l

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep, same experience with our '16 EXL. I did the first swap when we got it at 41k, then a second swap for MaxLife about 2-300 miles later and this totally changed the character and drive-ability of the vehicle. This and the Muzzle are about the two biggest things you can do, it was like a whole new Odyssey! Coming time for an oil change and I'll do a trans fluid swap then too and I'll just keep rotating...

Thanks for the posting and enjoy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the TSB still cover if the car out of 5yr/60k miles warranty? Or we have to pay out of pocket?
It should cover it if you have the symptoms described. They will actually run a diagnostic on it to see the behavior of the transmission. If it's there then I think the TSB covers 8 years/80000 miles. I would take it to the dealer and find out exactly from them. My vehicle's under Honda care, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man I have 83000 miles. Wish I had known this. Of course I don’t have any I’ll trans characteristics but always nice to have all free updates

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had this done on my 2014 EX a few weeks back. Having the same positive experience! Really noticed power on demand when passing on the highway that previously was lagging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Man I have 83000 miles. Wish I had known this. Of course I don’t have any I’ll trans characteristics but always nice to have all free updates
You can minimize the cost of getting your transmission updated and healthier if you take your van in to a dealership to have one drain and fill done along with the update. After that, DIY two more drain-and-fills and you'll be all caught up without spending a ton of money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can minimize the cost of getting your transmission updated and healthier if you take your van in to a dealership to have one drain and fill done along with the update. After that, DIY two more drain-and-fills and you'll be all caught up without spending a ton of money.
I’ve done the drain and fills myself and haven’t noticed any issues. Is this a software update

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve done the drain and fills myself and haven’t noticed any issues. Is this a software update
It is. However, the procedure to get the software update calls for the 3x D&F. They won't keep your fluid in there and just do the software update. It's all covered under warranty as long as it's under the years or mileage, but it sucks to have a that Amsoil go to the recycler.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you don't have any issues then you don't really need the software update. I have always done all of the drain-and-fills on our van myself and we haven't had a single millisecond of trouble with the transmission. I am 99.99% certain that our van's transmission is not running the most recent version of whatever software Honda has developed for it - it doesn't matter because the performance has been exemplary.

I don't plan to do anything about any software update unless performance issues arise, and you can't get any warranty to cover the cost anyway if you're being proactive. Warranties only pay out on repairs after a problem happens.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep, same experience with our '16 EXL. I did the first swap when we got it at 41k, then a second swap for MaxLife about 2-300 miles later and this totally changed the character and drive-ability of the vehicle. This and the Muzzle are about the two biggest things you can do, it was like a whole new Odyssey! Coming time for an oil change and I'll do a trans fluid swap then too and I'll just keep rotating...

Thanks for the posting and enjoy!
I should have been more clear in my posting, we did NOT get any software updates. I've just been doing the trans fluid swaps and I Muzzled the '16 EXL; these changed the character of the vehicle. Since we're having no issues I hesitate to do any updates, let alone if I were to have to pay for the update, forget about it...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
What is muzzled?
That is a catch-all term used to describe having a VCM disable device installed on your engine. Many of us here have them because the variable cylinder management system in the fourth generation Odyssey is a very poorly implemented system - it often does far more harm than good.

Is it that you are unfamiliar with the term "muzzled" or that you don't know about the problems VCM2 can cause? I hope I don't sound condescending asking that, but I also don't want to insult your intelligence telling you about things you may already know. Please read this as trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As per CroMath above, Muzzled = defeating the VCM which I would say definitely does more harm than good. Anything implemented that may cause permanent damage and harm costing tons of money to fix is a threat, it's not worth potentially saving a few dollars a year in gas costs if I end up facing a $3-4k engine rebuild as a result. Or motor mounts, or transmission issues... You're results "may" vary, but I'm not taking the chance and I prefer to have all six cylinders running all the time anyway.

Lots of VCM Tuner II, S-VCM, Muzzle threads here; check them out.

Recent Muzzle mileage experiment...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not insulting at all. Ya don’t know what ya don’t know. We’ve had our 2014 odyssey for 43000 of its 83000 miles and I haven’t had a single issue with it. I didn’t even know it had variable cylinder management. Is that like the big V8s GM makes that shut it down to 4cyl when needed to save gas?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is that like the big V8s GM makes that shut it down to 4cyl when needed to save gas?
Exactly, only it runs as either a 3-cylinder (one bank) or a V4 (two cylinders on each bank) depending on need. The deactivated cylinders can have excessive wear, blow-by, oil build-up, etc. and the motor mounts wear much faster as they are stressed more (they are 'active' mounts and ~$500 each for parts).

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts