Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the summary: 2001 Odyssey with about 136K on it now. I bought it with 42k on it and I'm pretty sure it's the original tranny. In May, on a trip, it did the dreaded check engine light and TCS code thought the van drove normally. Unfortunately, a mechanic cleared the code so I don't know what number. Anyway, I found the thread about the screens under the shift solenoid and linear solenoid clogging. I took them off and, sure enough, the screens on the gasket and the pipes were clogged. I cleaned them out and re-assembled everything. It's been working fine since.

Then today, on the way home on the highway the CEL and TCS lights come on again. Like before, the van's driving normally. I pulled the code and it is, of course, the P0740. What I'm wondering is if there's any hope to testing line pressure (not sure how to do that, but hoping I can figure out how to check it and what it should be) and, if the pressure's good, replacing the solenoids. Here's my question - all the diagnostic data refers to replacing the torque converter clutch solenoid and clutch pressure solenoid. Is this just another name for the shift solenoid and linear solenoid? I'm looking at the parts diagram here http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=50&productID=11&yearID=19&doorID=3&gradeID=8&areaID=2&transmissionID=5&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=3&idAndImageID=8759 462144&isBigPicture=False&pageName=AT Sensor - Solenoid (4AT) and all I see are the linear and shift solenoid that I cleaned out last time and two solenoid assemblies on the front side of the tranny called "A" and "B". Based on their position, are these the two solenoids that should be replaced assuming line pressure is good before the tranny is pronounced dead or is that referring to the two larger, and much more expensive, solenoids on top?

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
If you have been following Jofei's screen cleaning thread, I think in that one (or may be another one) there is a procedure to test the solenoids. If the solenoids are OK and you have the P0740 after cleaning the screens, your tranny is toast and changing the solenoids will NOT help. You first need to test the solenoids to determine if either one of them is bad.

It has almost always been the larger expensive shift solenoids that if is dead needs replacing.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Here's a pic of components:

OF

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dvpatel,

Thanks. I used that thread when I cleaned out my screens, but haven't been through all of it. I'll look for the solenoid testing in that thread. I'm guessing that's my only hope to save 2,500-3000 on a new tranny. I keep hoping that the core transmission is ok since I have no real driving problems, burnt fluid, etc and without the light would never guess it had a tranny problem.

Odyfamily,

Thanks for that diagram. Looks like the solenoids are combined and that's why the two names are used interchangeably.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
sclough, I also do believe that, as you mentioned, it is a combination system (2 linear solenoid operated valves occupying a single valve body or mounting point).

If you are attempting some DIY work, I think obtaining the Helm manual would be a good idea. I was looking at copying some pages from mine, but it's a formidable job to cover all the bases to get the pages I think you might need (between testing pressure, which I think is more of a shop job, and testing / replacing solenoid-operated valves, which is in the DIY league).

ebay has some available that are on CD that might be worth a look at (search for "1999 2004 Odyssey shop manual"). I would definitely ask the seller(s) if it is a genuine and legit article from the publisher (Helm, Inc.)

OF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts