Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copied the below text from Honda's Accura MDX site. Will the 2002 Odyssey have both a transmission AND a steering fluid cooler as part of the towing package? A new "factory engineered" trailer hitch (no buying direct form Draw-Tite)? Will any of the '01 parts fit the '02 model? Any comments?

In support of safe towing, MDX's tow hitch and other hardware needed for the job is factory engineered for dealer installation. A standard automatic transmission cooler built into the radiator is adequate for towing up to 2000 pounds. For heavier loads, the addition of a second external transmission cooler and a separate power-steering fluid cooler is required. The dealer-installed trailer hitch is a Class III receiver-type design that bolts on with no drilling, cutting, or bumper-cover modifications. A harness to provide electrical power to trailer lights plugs into a connector provided at the rear of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
A generic tranny cooler and power steering cooler can both be had for less than $100.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Speaking of tranny coolers:

Has anyone installed a generic cooler on their Ody? If so, I'd like to see pictures, especially if it's NOT mounted through the radiator and/or condenser.

Instead of the typical square-ish coolers, I was thinking about using one of those designed to mount along a frame rail but mounting it on brackets similar to the Honda accessory. See number 4109 (http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/trans.htm) to see what I'm thinking about using.

Mel

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">For heavier loads, the addition of a second external transmission cooler and a separate power-steering fluid cooler is required.</font>
I can certainly understand why a an aux transmission cooler would needed when towing a heavy load. Can someone explain to me why an aux power steering cooler is needed? I can't see how any additional stress is placed on the power steering just because you're pulling a trailer. It seems to me that, if anything, the added weight placed on the "back" of the car while towing a trailer would lighten the front end and make things easier on the power steering system. What am I missing?

Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No particular additional stress is placed on the power steering in highway driving. However, the heat in the power steering fluid builds up and cannot be dissipated because the extra heat being generated by the transmission and engine (whilst towing)overwhelms the power steering. The normal heat gradient is not there and it will blow the seals on the power steering pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts