Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2003 Odyssey
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mines a 2003 model year with the 5 speed, at 164k miles original transmission as far as I know w/ the 2nd gear oil recall. Occasionally the transmission between 1st to 2nd or I think 3rd to 4th will get stuck in neutral while trying to accelerate for about 3 seconds. This started happening a month back, only happening maybe once every 2 hours worth of driving, but now it's happening every 30 min worth of driving. More often too the engine will rev up a little while changing gears. Is this the sign of a dying transmission?

I don't know when/if the fluid was changed before my ownership, but at 150k I changed the fluid 3 times (fluid was black) and changed the filter, along with another fluid change at 160k.

· Registered
441 Posts
@Coreon - How many miles did you drive between each of the first 3 D&Fs? Did you use Honda fluid? Have you measured the line pressure? Before tearing into it, evaluating the line pressure is a good first step.

· Registered
2003 Odyssey
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Coreon - How many miles did you drive between each of the first 3 D&Fs? Did you use Honda fluid? Have you measured the line pressure? Before tearing into it, evaluating the line pressure is a good first step.
I waited ~ a couple hundred miles each fluid change, I used the OEM atf-dw1. Also, I was mistaken pretty sure the problem is 2nd to 3rd. After the original post, I also got the p0740 code, noticed the torque converter wouldn't lockup. Looking up some videos, I cleaned the solenoid pack on the top and one on the front of the transmission with new gaskets, tested resistance and put 12v through them to test... trans was shifting really well and everything was working, but it got stuck in neutral again.

How would I go about testing for line pressure? I don't have access to special tools and I'm not very good at this stuff.
Thanks

· Registered
441 Posts
I waited ~ a couple hundred miles each fluid change
noticed the torque converter wouldn't lockup.
cleaned the solenoid pack on the top and one on the front of the transmission with new gaskets, tested resistance and put 12v through them to test.
How would I go about testing for line pressure? I don't have access to special tools
There's the (possibility) that the 3 D&Fs (caused) or (contributed to) the problem. New fluid acts as a cleaner, thus releasing gunk. Too much new fluid too fast causes a lot of gunk to be released at the same time. Too much gunk at the same time can cause problems. It's best to drive 1,500 miles or more between D&Fs.

Are you noticing that the torque converter isn't locking up? If so, how are you noticing this and when is it happening in the shift/MPH cycle?

Did you remove, test, and clean CPC AB and CPC C? Refer to the image below. Did you remove all 5 screens? What condition were the screens in? What Ohm measurements did you get?

Given what you've done thus far, testing the line pressure will be easy for you to do. However, you'll need a gauge setup that fits the test port. Hit me up via a conversation and we can discuss the gauge.

I just went through this (P0740) with my '03.

· Registered
441 Posts
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Font Automotive exterior

Reactions: Deadly Sushi

· Registered
2003 Odyssey
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it was cpc a&b and then cpc c. The screens on a&b were pretty clear, just a little bit of gunk on the sides. That tested around 5.5 ohms each. The screen built into the gasket on cpc c looked completely clogged up. I think that one measured a little over 7 ohms.

After the code went on, the torque converter wouldn't lock up at all, it normally can lock for me starting around 50mph in 5th gear if I'm not accelerating. I drove the car a few days with the code including some highway and it shifted normally (except the issues already established) but the torque converter never locked. After I cleaned those solenoids, the code didn't come back and it's locking up fine, but once in a while it still gets stuck upshifting.

· Registered
441 Posts
The screen built into the gasket on cpc c looked completely clogged up. I think that one measured a little over 7 ohms.

After the code went on, the torque converter wouldn't lock up at all, it normally can lock for me starting around 50mph in 5th gear if I'm not accelerating. I drove the car a few days with the code including some highway and it shifted normally (except the issues already established) but the torque converter never locked. After I cleaned those solenoids, the code didn't come back and it's locking up fine, but once in a while it still gets stuck upshifting.
The gasket-screen on my CPC C was clogged with brown, greasy stuff. I'm told it's clutch material.
CPC C is supposed to measure 5 ohms. Given yours measured >7 ohms, perhaps you should replace it.
When you say "stuck upshifting," what do you mean?
Next up would be to measure your line pressure.

· Registered
2003 Odyssey
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gasket-screen on my CPC C was clogged with brown, greasy stuff. I'm told it's clutch material.
CPC C is supposed to measure 5 ohms. Given yours measured >7 ohms, perhaps you should replace it.
When you say "stuck upshifting," what do you mean?
Next up would be to measure your line pressure.
Occasionally, while trying to go from 2nd to 3rd the transmission will go into neutral, and I won't be able to accelerate for a few seconds. Sometimes the engine rpms spike a bit when shifting. Other times it shifts completely normally and smooth. No lights or codes show up.

· Registered
441 Posts
Given that, in addition to measuring your Line Pressure, you'll want to measure your 2nd Clutch Pressure and your 3rd Clutch Pressure.

· Registered
441 Posts
Font Line Auto part Parallel Line art

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts