Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Select the option that matches your AT/issues.

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Fluid drain-n-fill or software update

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Solenoid replaced**

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Computer replaced

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Torque converter replaced**

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Loss of power on econ

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Loss of power on econ off

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Rough Shifting

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - Transmission replaced

• Honda 10AT (10 speed) - No Issues

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Fluid drain-n-fill or software update

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Solenoid replaced**

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Computer replaced

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Torque converter replaced**

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Loss of power on econ

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Loss of power on econ off

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Dog clutch noise (4-5, 7-8 gears) or Other noise

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Rough Shifting

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Transmission replaced

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - No Issues - Normal dog clutch click (4-5, 7-8 gears)

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - No Issues

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Service Bulletin 19-124 fixed everything

• ZF 9HP (9 speed) - Service Bulletin 19-124 did not fix anything

41 - 60 of 155 Posts

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
2021 Toyota Sienna.
Very nice. Best of luck!
My goal is to keep mine as long as possible. Bought new all paid for. It’s a big loss if I sell/trade now. So far no issues and hoping it will stay that way.

Reactions: Aclement1618

· Registered
98 Posts
Congratulations on the sienna..

While we love our Odyssey, there is no beating Toyota quality and reliability. We've had Pirus's, Camry hybrids and the last car we had before the Odyssey was a Highlander hybrid, so going to the Sienna hybrid would be a no brainer. If we could afford new, we would definitely get the Sienna over the Odyssey.

· Registered
2018 Odyssey EX-L
69 Posts
Update for you all— View attachment 161145 we said an early goodbye to the Odyssey and are now the owners of a 2021 Toyota Sienna. 😆 We haven't heard from Honda corporate yet or received any sort of reparation (I will add that the dealership has verbally promised that we would).
After we come back from our Hawaii tour, that’s our next vehicle without a question.

· Registered
247 Posts
Update for you all— View attachment 161145 we said an early goodbye to the Odyssey and are now the owners of a 2021 Toyota Sienna. 😆 We haven't heard from Honda corporate yet or received any sort of reparation (I will add that the dealership has verbally promised that we would).

This will be our next vehicle. But not early production like I did with Honda. I will buy refresh of 2021.
good luck with your Toyota. I am totally done with my Honda.

· Registered
2018 Odyssey EX-L
69 Posts
The shifting issues return post 500mi?
Short answer no, but it seemed to be a two part issue. The first, which was corrected by the software update, would cause the transmission to slam into gear after a complete loss of power during normal acceleration. This would happen around 25-27mph. The second, which is still ongoing, is the somewhat jerky shifting at lower RPMs. If I barely touch the pedal to accelerate at "Prius" speeds, the jerky shifting is barely noticeable. The other alternative to avoid the jerky shifting is to apply my foot to the pedal at a still somewhat slow acceleration but the van wants to lurch forward and take off, even with minimal pressure applied. The pedal response does not match the input. I've driven and owned enough cars to tell the difference. It feels like the van is running a performance chip and it wants to race every time I slightly apply pressure to the pedal.

Hopefully, this makes sense... I haven't updated my response to the poll because I wanted to get more mileage in. I wonder if Honda will come out with another software update to adjust the pedal/acceleration feedback.

When I driving the van I find that I'm sitting in a somewhat tense position (to anticipate the shifting) until I turn on cruise control on the highway. There's almost no consistency with the acceleration.

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Short answer no.
Yup. This. This is what the complaints are all about. Unfortunately this is how this AT behaves... by design... not the answer you want. It’s not the greatest AT. Part of me is like this is just a minivan of all things. Considering $36k hard earned $ this is not acceptable. This gets worse bc you think about it and dwell on on it. This is why I will be buying last year of a particular gen of any make/model. We are beta testers otherwise. No complaints from my van but I do get the dog clutch clicks. I worry as I see more complaints here. Longevity is what I seek over shift quality.

Reactions: Aclement1618

· Registered
2018 Odyssey EX-L
69 Posts
Yup. This. This is what the complaints are all about. Unfortunately this is how this AT behaves... by design... not the answer you want. It’s not the greatest AT. Part of me is like this is just a minivan of all things. Considering $36k hard earned $ this is not acceptable. This gets worse bc you think about it and dwell on on it. This is why I will be buying last year of a particular gen of any make/model. We are beta testers otherwise. No complaints from my van but I do get the dog clutch clicks. I worry as I see more complaints here. Longevity is what I seek over shift quality.
I’m not convinced the issue I’m experiencing is a transmission problem. VCM doesn’t seem to fit either but I’m not sure what it could be. When I accelerate and it lurches forward it’s still in the same gear. I think I’ll bring up the issue again when I hit 30k. Im less than 2k away from hitting that mark.

I do agree that’s it’s frustrating to have some of these issues for a product that you would think is less likely to have these issues... I’ll keep you posted.

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
Aclement1618 wrote,
Hopefully, this makes sense... I haven't updated my response to the poll because I wanted to get more mileage in. I wonder if Honda will come out with another software update to adjust the pedal/acceleration feedback. When I driving the van I find that I'm sitting in a somewhat tense position (to anticipate the shifting) until I turn on cruise control on the highway. There's almost no consistency with the acceleration.
I feel the exact same way. The gas pedal --> feedback response is out of whack. It's as though you must make an appointment when you want to accelerate from a stop light, in case you hurt the transmission's feelings!! I spoke with my service advisor about this oddity at my previous recall appointment. He said the 9-speed must be "driven." He meant that you have to lean on the gas or else the feedback is not smooth. So much for the goal of excellent gas mileage.

The best I can describe the 9-speed is with simple math. Every car I've owned had a mostly linear acceleration response. The more you press the gas pedal the faster you go. The 9-speed is parabolic. You press the pedal and the car has to be woken up first, then all of a sudden it snaps at you - kind of like waking up a teenager for school :)!

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Bump

We need to report here instead of starting another transmission failure thread. Wish we could get it pinned. I’ve manually added in the number of failures on the 1st post for those the didn’t place their vote in the survey

survey input + reports on other threads we have these numbers below. Happy to report not all 5th gen odyssey’s out there are blowing up folks.

[9 speed failures: 4]
[10 Speed failures: 8]

· Registered
1 Posts
Brand new 2022 Odyssey EX-L with 100 miles on the odometer and the transmission is toast. Dealer is looking for a new one. Symptoms are that when it gets up to 30-40mph and you give it gas it just revs up quickly but no acceleration whatsoever. Also it sometimes is extremely slow to accelerate from a stop.

I should have bought a Toyota. Expensive lesson learned amd hopefully future readers will benefit.

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Brand new 2022 Odyssey EX-L with 100 miles on the odometer and the transmission is toast.
Sorry to hear this. Thanks for reporting. Glad it is covered by warranty. Hate to wrench on a new vehicle 😕

Is your other forum name AmericanOperator? Checking for a friend. ;)
LOL

· Registered
98 Posts
Maybe I'm imagining things, but I followed Fuego's instructions and reset my transmission and since noticed a huge difference in shifting, especially from 0-10mph. No more jerking/harding shifting when pulling out of my driveway or a parking spot. Only driven about 40 miles so far, but It's been super smooth.

I had the TSB done over 2 months ago. Wondering if the dealer even reset the transmission afterwards as I did not notice a difference when I picked up the car back then.

· Registered
59 Posts
Best of luck with the Sienna. We drove a '22 Sienna before picking the '22 Odyssey. Did not like the CVT but it is a really cool van.

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Maybe I'm imagining things, but I followed Fuego's instructions and reset my transmission and since noticed a huge difference in shifting, especially from 0-10mph. No more jerking/harding shifting when pulling out of my driveway or a parking spot. Only driven about 40 miles so far, but It's been super smooth.
lol. It’s nuts how these things are sometimes. Just a heads up make sure you drive the 500 miles without Econ while it’s learning how to drive.

again it might be me but feel like it made a difference.

· Registered
11 Posts
When I first got the transmission flush at 35,000 miles it felt to me like it made a difference but something was missing. It felt like something was holding the transmission back, I mean the van would go like a bat out of hell when prompted but it always felt like something held it back. I finally reset the tranny with the instructions from above and it feels like a whole different car. It wants to go and it does so without being clunky.

· Registered
2019 Elite
608 Posts
@fuego . Nice job keeping this updated.

My recommendation is to proof the claims. If you can have links to the individual claims of transmission failures as @zroger73 does over at ROC (List of transmission failures), it would nice.
Survey is nice, but the actual threads that discusses the issue and resolution is crucial.

What do you think?

41 - 60 of 155 Posts