Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2000 Honda Odyssey has been an awesome vehicle. With 150k miles on it now, it has worked flawlessly, with the exception of the automatic transmission. The engine and chassis is a solid as the day we bought it, but we are about to have the third replacement transmission installed. Luckily we are ony 2-1/2 years into a three year warranty on the last one. Otherwise, I would surely have to just get rid of the vehicle and look for something else.

What is with the Hondas and their transmissions? Have they ever got them sorted or will they always be their achiles heal? I have a friend with a 2010 Accord that is having transission issues at only 10k miles. It is really too bad because I believe their vehicles could be the best in the world if they could ever figure out how to build a good transmission. How are the 3rd and 4th generation transmission holding up? Are there any major design differences in the newer transmissions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the threads on the clogged solenoid screens. I will definitely keep on top of these with the next transmission. Great info at this forum, thanks.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
After the new unit is installed add an external cooler and filter. Use the new Honda synthetic trans fluid and run it till it dies. From what I hear the Ridgeline trannies are solid and are being used in the newer Ody's. Not sure about the Accords.

·
Registered
23 Posts
are these the pipes being referred to that get clogged screens? I'm at 57K on my third tranny (187K total) and still holding up - added external filter and changing fluid every 8K. I'm referring to items 2-5 on the URL below.

Honda Automotive Parts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, the new Ford Mustangs are having issues with their Chinese-made manual transmissions too.

We have abandoned the concept of keeping a proven design, in favor of having fresh-out-of-school engineers (who have zero real-world experience, I used to be one) redesign every nut and bolt every 3-4 years now.

This will result in some less-than-ideal designs making it into production, where thousands and thousands of the not-perfect widgets will be made before anything is done to correct the issues (which in some cases, never happens, as management is content to wait until the next "new" design cycle).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts