Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for various reasons... we've always preferred the LX's over the Ex's. Our Accord is a LX as is our Ody, and actually like the contrasting Black trim. The trouble is, that black trim gets funky looking if wax/polish touches it. I've lived with it on the Accord, but same thing happens on the Ody... so I've declared war on the problem and am looking for some help on the weapon of choice to battle the problem. No matter what wax/polish, the residue won't let go of the black trim (especially the black trim along the _bottom_ of the doors and the black bit on top of the rear bumper on the Ody). It leaves a white residue. I tried rubbing alcohol and even my wife's "Nail Polish Remover" on it, which turns it black again immediately but as it evaporates... the residue shows right back up.

It's virtually impossible (short or masking) to wax/polish without getting some on the black trim, and the wax residue won't let go of the trim!! So, I figure I ain't the Lone Ranger and other people wax their LX's and have the same problem.... and some must have a solution on how to rid the porous black bits of the white wax/polish residue.

Since the trim is so happy to hang on to the light wax, was thinking giving it some black shoe wax/polish to hang onto! ...but certainly there must be a good and simple product out there that will work specifically for this problem... what are others using for this???

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mothers has a product called Back-to-Black which seems to work pretty well. It applies like a wax, apply it and then buff it off. It usually leaves a nice finish. I haven't used this product for very long so I do not have a lot of experience with it. I am looking forward to others comments on this problem too. Perhaps there is an excellent product that could benefit us.

------------------
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cwneed!!!

I picked up a bottle of that Mothers "Back to Black" today. Stuff did the trick! Super easy, immediate results. After taking the wax/polish residue off the black trim on the Ody, I gave it the big test on my 11 year old Accord. Cleaned up the trim on that like a dream, looks like I got news mirrors on it again, too. Great solution to a problem that's been bugging me for quite awhile. Wife thanks you too.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Glad it worked, I may try it too. I noticed that the Blitz wax did leave a bit of residue, but only on the top corner of the sill under the doors. At least it didn't stain like some previous waxes I used.

To remove it, I use 3M adhesive/tar/wax remover followed by a product called "Black Again". Needed a little elbow grease, but does the trick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Glad it helped out on the Ody and the 11 year old Accord. I thought the results on the Accord were quite impressive.

Chris

------------------
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts