Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, New to the Forum and do not even have an Odyssey yet, just need some help as the salesman at the dealership don't seem to be very knowledgeable. Below is my current situation and please correct me or give me any information you think I may need.

My wife and I have 3 boys ages 5, 2, and 1 month. We currently have an 2015 Acura MDX with 3 car seats in the back (very difficult). We are now looking for a van and after my research the Odyssey is one of the best. We were initially looking at a 2012 EX-L w/ DVD (a must for the kids imo) and it had 147,000 miles on it. I have been researching and see that between 130,000 and 180,000 they may have issues with the water pump, timing belt, or even transmission (depending how it was maintained). The previously mentioned items were not deal breakers but we realized that it was not key less entry, with the button on the door, like our Acura was (very convenient) and it was not a push button start. Can anyone help me with the following questions? Please feel free to comment about what I know or what you think I should know before making this purchase.

Can anyone tell me what year the Odyssey came equipped with the key less entry, where we can pull the door handle and it unlocks or opens the sliding doors for the kids while the keys are still in my pocket? I am thinking 2014

What year the Odyssey started being manufactured with the push button start? I am thinking 2014 for this as well

What models come equipped with the DVD entertainment system? I see it can be EX-L but it optional and is Standard on Touring or Touring Elite

Also, I have located a 2014 Touring Elite with 86,000 miles on it and a clean carfax. What do you guys think? I truly appreciate any help you can provide.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Car salesmen generally have pretty poor product knowledge. I wouldn't trust anything they say - I assume everything is wrong unless there is separate confirmation.

• 2014+ will have keyless access (and push-button start) on all trims other than LX (lowest). Earlier years might have it on the higher trims (Touring, Elite)
  • Rear DVD system is on EX-L RES, Touring and Elite. (LX, EX, EX-L, EX-L Nav don't) The Elite rear DVD system has a 'wide' screen that can play two sources, has a HDMI input and some other extras.
Here's my opinion: Once you get above 50-60k miles, maintenance quality really starts to matter. Transmission fluid changes are VERY important (suggested to do fluid exchanges twice as often as factory recommended or more if you can DIY). There is also a risk of issues with the VCM system (variable cylinder management) that may cause issues.

Water pump, timing belt, etc. should all be changed at 105k miles (maintenance schedule) - I wouldn't call that an issue. There are other random issues that can come up, but none are deal breakers and they don't effect all of the vans (power steering pump leaks, CV boots/axles, alternators, power door cables, actuators, brakes, etc.).

We got the Odyssey for the second row configuration - you actually can put 3 across without too much hassle (2.5 yo + 5 month twins here) but we normally run 2 in the second row and one in the third for ease of use/access Sliding doors are a game changer if you haven't had them before.

-Charlie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sliding doors are a game changer. Can’t be said enough.

I may have a 2014 ex-l coming up for sale very soon. It’s mechanically perfect and cosmetically excellent. 83k trouble free miles.

yes 2014 started the push button start and keyless I believe. We wanted the dvd as well but couldn’t find one at the time. Honestly a tablet has worked great and we don’t miss the dvd considering you actually would have to buy, rent, or checkout dvds to use it.

sending you a PM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts