Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from long road trip from Houston area to Park City UT driving van. We hit rain leaving H that was so heavy the L sliding door leaked (!) on my daughter. Never done that before! Looked to be from top door gasket, yes her window was up! The RES worked great with one issue not reading a movie but that was solved by reinserting it. My fix of replacing the DVD sound cable fixed the sound issue (TSB) on headphones - thank gosh. Headphone batteries - I actually brought extras but they lasted the whole trip. Kids did not view the whole trip, but still was better than expected. Fuel mileage was always about 400 to tank when we took towards E, figure on low 20's. Speeds were high, limits on those roads were 75mph and we went 80 most of the way. In past I have done MPG calc's but this time just drove and didn't worry about it. Seemed to be normal, albeit a bit less in mountains. Kuhmo tires pumped to 44 psi to carry load (below max). Wind noise was low as we kept gear off top and drivability was excellent. Individual climate controls nice as well as heated front seats. I don't have airbags and the rear suspension seemed pretty close to or in fact riding on the bump stops, however the rear camber did not seem to suffer a huge amount.

In mountains the Ody's downshifting on closed throttle behavior helped manage speeds, and my upgraded brakes were firm, no fade and powerful although you could obviously tell we had a lot of weight in it - didn't decelerate as fast as normal. Uphill, the trans shifted smoothly and you would have to look at the tach to tell what gear you were in. Cruise worked smoothly and did well maintaining speed.

Engine oil consumption was minimal, I don't think it used much at all. I did a drain/fill of transmission before I left with the new Honda oil (yes I know it takes 3x to do all of it but this is my lazy way of doing it gradually).

Hit a section of Kansas with 50mph max crosswinds, the 18" tires really seemed to help keep it bolted to the road, even for a brick of a vehicle with all that cross section.

Overall, very nice road vehicle. I have not been the biggest fan of Honda Ody after having my share of issues but it was impressively comfortable, capable, roomy, luxurious and reliable on this trip.:cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just did Ottawa Canada to Orlando Florida. The car performed well although the oil life meter dropped from 100 % (I got an oil change just before the trip) to 60%.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts