Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

**UPDATE: Problem partially fixed by changing valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and spark plugs seals on the valve cover. New video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBvy3KZYFi8**

Recently, the car has been struggling to cold start, I took two videos below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-qavQEa8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2nbONbOemk

However, the if I start it again right after the first start, it will start up easily.

What could be the problem..? All I can think of is the main relay..?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
Negative on the main relay, there is absolutely no chance.

Start with your basic tune up if it has been awhile. Bad plugs/wires/cap/rotor etc is a good bet if you are due.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply BracedEunos.

I did 'clean' the distributor cap and the rotor last week, but nothing improved. (What else can I do without getting a new rotor / Distributor?)

Haven't looked at spark plugs and the wires though. (All I can say is that both ends of the wires are good :S)

·
Registered
725 Posts
weak diafram in the fuel pump , bad fuel regulator , or low compresson due to worn rings ... those can cause the hard start due to not holding the pressure over time. but one represured it is fine, till the next time

i would say spark plugs ect but you say it starts fine after the hard start ....
try letting the fuel pump turn on and then back off two times then start it ...it will kinda tell u if its a fuel pressure issue kinda .best to have a gauge onit

·
Registered
249 Posts
....good call....you can let your fuel pump pressurize when you ign is on. When your check engine light goes off then that means your fuel pump is primed and ready for action.

I actually think my manual says that you are supposed to wait and start your car when the CEL goes off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply BracedEunos and Overboostin

I just realize for both of the video I posted, I did wait till the CEL is turn off before I start...

I will check the spark plugs (Just in case) later, and will take another video tomorrow morning. (Wait till CEL is off, then turn key to off, then on again for the CEL, then start..?)

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked the plugs, noticing the spark plugs has oil at the end, oils are leaking in.. I guess I need to change the spark plug gasket...(Would that be the cause of the cold start problem?)

Hopefully can get it done tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
URGENT:

Turns out one of the bolt holding the valve cover down is 'snapped', I followed the torque spec when tightening it last time...

I am not sure if i can buy that specific part from Honda...or else I need to go to salvage yard to get one...

·
Registered
947 Posts
hi7of3of2hi9 said:
URGENT:

Turns out one of the bolt holding the valve cover down is 'snapped', I followed the torque spec when tightening it last time...

I am not sure if i can buy that specific part from Honda...or else I need to go to salvage yard to get one...
Are you leaking out oil due to the stripped bolt? If not then I would not worry about fixing it since it should be holding pressure fine.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
hi7of3of2hi9 said:
URGENT:

If you are talking about the studs that stick up, they are not expensive from the dealer. Cheaper than driving to a wrecker and buying one that may already be stretched and snap when you try and tighten the nut. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi7of3of2hi9 said:
I guess I need to change the spark plug gasket...(Would that be the cause of the cold start problem?)

Hopefully can get it done tomorrow.
:confused:

i think you piston rings are going out if your getting oil on your plugs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply mjody and evil_ryu

mjody: I'm lucky that there is only ONE avaliable at the dealer... and they say they won't be order it anymore ...

evil_ryu: I really hope that is not the case, since I changed the gasket, the spark plugs has been oil free for these couple days. I also realize that the valve cover gasket is not 100% fitting (too thick compare to oem one), my lesson learned here is, never buy third party gasket, always buy it from dealer :)

Updated video is uploaded.

The engine starts way better now. Changed valve cover gasket, the hold down bolt for the valve cover, spark plugs.

I will observe for a couple more days. Will post more updates .

Thanks again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like it was just neglected. It will run like a top after you complete the other tune up items (fuel filter, cap + rotor etc)

If it has been awhile since it had a tuneup then there might be oil inside the distributor cap. That is in the inner seal. There is also a outer seal that leaks onto the top of the tranny. Just something to watch out for.

Another good tune up practice is cleaning the EGR ports on the F series motors. Easy to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts